How far can a lip lift go? (photos)

I'm looking at lip lifts online and on real self and I just don't think the doctors take enough skin out. Most of the lips go from being small to an okay. What if I want a huge difference? Like the pictures bellow?

Lip Lift

As a general guideline no more than 1/3 of the vertical philtral distance should be removed. Any more than that amount can create an unnatural upper lip appearance…and the operation is irreversible.

Lip Lift

Lip lifts are approached conservatively so the patient will look natural and can close their lips. In general, only about 25% of the skin of the upper lip can safely be removed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Lip lifts - why aren't surgeons more aggressive

Thank you for asking about your lip lift.
  • The amount that can be safely removed is approximately 25% of the skin of the upper lip.
  • Removing more has the risk of creating an imbalance between the lip and the rest of the face.
  • It can also in certain cases make it difficult to close the lip
  • The upper lip is normally smaller than the lower lip but at the moment it is fashionable to have fuller upper lips.
  • To know what is right for you, you need to have an in-person examination and discuss with your plastic surgeon the look you want and what is reasonable to do.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD