Kybella, Liposuction, Neck lift or Chin Implant? Which would give me the best result? (Photos)

I just turned 20 few days back. In my childhood and early teens I had a defined jawline. At 14-15 I gained a little weight, then lost it. But the neck slope seems to be permanent now. I'm fairly thin not too thin but want my old neck angle and jawline back. What option would be the best for me?

Neck rejuvenation options

Thanks for sharing. In general, current neck and lower face rejuvenation treatments include:

1. Surgical Neck lift* with a Lower Facelift would be the gold standard and gets the best overall results in the jowls and neck and indicated in middle age and older patients
  2. Surgical Neck lift* which involves lifting and removing loose skin would be the next best procedure
  3. Neck Liposuction and/or Laser Lipolysis if only fat removal is required, typically in a younger patient. (A platysmaplasty can be added for further muscle tightening if needed)
  4. Ultherapy is an FDA approved non invasive tightening using ultrasound technology
  5. Kybella is a new FDA approved series of injections that melts fat under the chin
  6. Cool Sculpting is FDA approved energy device to removed fat from under the chin as well. 
  7. Botox to the platysma bands to decrease their activity and show

*It is important the a Neck lift involves some liposuction and importantly a platysmaplasty which is a procedure that tightens the underlying loose neck muscles.  You are relatively young.  If you want the "best" results it would for you it would be liposuction and likely a chin implant in my opinion. Consult with several board certified faciall platic / plastic surgeons experienced in face and neck rejuvenation to discuss your options

Dear Brokemynose99, You would be an excellent candidate for chin augmentation and cervical/submental liposuction to help balance your profile and overall facial aesthetics. I perform many of these procedures on patients like yourself with an extremely high level of patient and surgeon satisfaction. The small additions of placing an implant for chin projection and removing fatty deposits has a dramatic effect on the patients profile and jawline. Providing a more masculine overall facial aesthetic. See the video above and the link below to see similar patients before and after results. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Neck liposuction, platysma plasty, and chin implant.

The side profile photograph reveals fatty deposits in the neck which can be removed with liposuction.  A platysma plasty procedure will increase the jawline definition by placing a few sutures between the Adam's apple and the chin.  Placement of a Silastic chin implant will help with chin projection by augmenting the mandible forward which also improves the jawline.  For more information and many examples of this combination, please see the video and the link below

Kybella, Liposuction, Neck Lift, or Chin Implant

I would recommend liposuction rather than Kybella to avoid the multiple treatments necessary for Kybella. I don't see a need for a chin implant and have rarely recommended the need for a neck lift in a young man like yourself. You may not be able to achieve the neck definition you have demonstrated depending on the underlying structure of your neck but reasonable expectations can be determined before surgery after a  pre-operative examination.

Neck angle

At the very least, a chin implant and some liposuction will help. Often we need to remove some subplastysmal fat which is not accessible via liposuction to achieve the look you desire. This is done via a neck lift using the same incision as the chin implant. 

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Kybella, Liposuction, Neck lift or Chin Implant?

There are really two questions here - do you need a change in skeletal configuration and or a change in the soft tissues. It's easy to see from the photos that a chin implant will be helpful for the skeletal issue. But without an exam it is not possible to know which of many options would help the soft tissues. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Kybella, Liposuction, Neck lift or Chin Implant? Which would give me the best result?

Hi, from the photos your chin is weak and there is excess fat and loose skin below the chin. I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  I would perform liposuction of the neck and remove excess skin using the same incision (under the chin) used for placement of the chin implant.Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.*Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
*Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face (as discussed above).
*Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.Hope this helps.

Thank you for submitting your question and photos. They help me to better understand your areas of concern.
If your skin is relatively smooth and firm, but you have an accumulation of excess fatty deposits beneath your chin and /or along your jawline, liposuction may be all that is needed to restore a smooth, defined contour to this area. In this procedure, the use of a thin hollow cannula tube to suction out fat through small incisions made on the
underside of the chin or in the crease around the earlobe. Removal of this excess fat diminishes the appearance of a double chin and restores a firmer, chiseled angle to the neck and jawline. However if you have loose skin a neck lift might give you the results you are looking for. Internet discussion does not replace the advice of your physician. Start by setting up a consultation with one or more board certified plastic surgeons and go from there. Wish you all the best,Dr. Henry Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Liposuction for a defined neck?

Thank you for asking about your chin liposuction or neck lift.
  • Your chin seems fine - a chin implant will not correct the problem.
  • Liposuction and Kybella will remove fat under the chin -
  • Kybella is probably going to give somewhat better results but will need 2-3 treatments.
  • A neck lift with liposuction will probably give you the best results because in addition to fat under the skin, you probably have loose neck muscles and may have fat under the musc which Kybella and liposuction cannot remove.
  • I suggest you see a plastic surgeon specializing in cosmetic surgery for an in-person evaluation.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS