I am having trouble choosing my surgeon for my Breast Augmentation. I have it narrowed down to two. How do I decide?

They both are Board Certified. I believe one is double board certified. One charges 2k more than the other and has about 7 years more experience. I like both of their work. Is it safer assume the one who charges more is a safer bet?

The More Expensive Surgeon is Always Better

Just kidding.
I just thought that seeing how silly those words look in print would make the point that it is obviously not true.
Would you say the more expensive coffee shop makes the better latte?  Would you say the more expensive shoes are always better?
Plastic surgeons' pricing is the culmination of many factors; whether they prefer operating more at a lower fee or operate less at a higher fee; their location and expenses; and a host of other factors.  Ultimately the level of demand for their services is the most relevant factor, but that can be the result of self-promotion and marketing as much as from an earned reputation from excellent work. The trick is figuring out whether it is the former or the latter, and that is not always easy to do.
Once you have determined that the less-expensive doctor is not the result of cost-cutting, such as a less pricey implant, a less modern operating room, the use of a nurse anesthetists instead of an MD anesthesiologist, then you simply have to use the other criteria the other surgeons have offered in their answers and go with your gut.
If you can't figure it out right away, give yourself time.  Ultimately patients become enthused about one doctor.  If you do not get to that point with these surgeons then see another. 

Choosing a surgeon for breast augmentation if youve narrowed it down

If you like them both "the same", then I would go for the one that uses a Keller funnel (great for preventing biofilms which can cause capsular contracture) and uses Exparel (super awesome post-op pain blocker that is injected at the time of surgery). Relationships are important, bu specific techniques do produce better outcomes.

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Choosing a Surgeon

Hi there, good question.  It is not safe to assume that the more expensive surgeon is a safer bet, there’s some good explanations given to you already.  If they are both board certified, you like the results they’ve each shared with you and you can communicate with them effectively, then it’s a toss-up in my opinion.  Ask if you could talk to some of their former patients to get any additional post-operative bits of information you may not have thought of.  Good luck!Sincerely,Dr. Michelle Spring

Price of Breast aug

Great answers from my collegues.   Best to see lots of pics and see how much time the doc spends with you. The best surgeons are compassionate and have the patience to make sure you are choosing the best implant to fit your body.   Make sure they are board certified and specialize in breast procedures.   The most expensive are not always the best.   Most of us are moderately priced because we like to be very busy!Good luck!

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Ask the less experienced plastic surgeon how many augmentations he or she has done and have many he performs per year. If they are about the same and you are comfortable with each it probably doesn't matter who you choose.

Fred Suess, MD

When both are qualified and one is charging more

I would pocket the savings and go on a shopping spree while recovering.  More expensive fees do not guarantee you better results.  And in general, the longer one has operated, the more wisdom and better judgment one has.  Bottom line, who do you like better because if anything happens that isn't up to your standards, you will be spending a lot of time talking about your concerns.  So who is a better listener and will give you the time when you need it post-op???

Curtis Wong, MD

Don't decide on price

Price should not be a factor in your decision process when selecting a plastic surgeon for your procedure. You shouldn't be going to the cheapest because to save a few bucks at the expense of your results or safety.  Nor should you go to the most expensive just because they say  they may be better.  Experience, Board certification in PLASTIC SURGERY, quality of previous work, and your comfort after you've met with both of them are much more important factors.  You will find that when looking at all these factors you will probably end up with someone who is not cheap but probably not the most expensive one either.  That person will give you the quality time, safety,  experience and results that you're looking for.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Hi Sunny,If I understand your question, you have done your homework, so now the question is whether 7 years experience is worth $2K to you. I like Dr. Kim's answer below and have that on my list below as well.  Maybe the cheaper PS is a low baller and the higher one is more in the norm.  Experience is hard to beat if you have a complication or need a touch-up procedure.  I guess I would try to get an EXACT number of how many BA each PS does.  If one does 100 that is great, BUT if the other does over 300 a year, then I would go with the 300 PS.  See if either PS uses the Quick Recovery (Flash, Rapid) Method.  See if either offers multiple incisions.Here are a few more thoughts from my book to help you decide: •  Familiarize  yourself with physicians’ qualifications, titles,  and  certifications. •  Use the  Yellow Pages with discretion. •  Scan  websites  for general information. •  Learn as much  as you can  about  the  procedure you want. •  Consult  friends  and family who have had plastic  surgery. •  Consult  your family doctor. •  Don’t forget your hairdresser. •  Call professional organizations like the American  Society  for Aesthetic  Plastic  Surgery or the  American  Society of Plastic  Surgeons. •  Make a list of the  names you’ve been  given. •  Call your state’s medical board  to check  on prospective doctors. •  Meet with your doctor.  •  Choose a surgeon  you trust  and  with whom you feel comfortableAll the best,Dr. Joe

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

Thank you for your question.I would recommend that you pick the surgeon that you feel most comfortable with and whose staff you like the best.  As the staff will be the ones handling the majority of your aftercare following your surgery.  You can also check both surgeons Real Self, Yelp and Facebook reviews.  Also, ask both patient care coordinators if any of the patients will be willing to speak with you about their respective experiences.The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon