Is it OK to begin lifting weights 6 weeks after gynecomastia surgery?

My husband had gynocomastia surgery 5 days ago, he is wondering if at 6 weeks can he begin lifting weights or should he still take it easy for a little longer. He just doesnt want to make scar tissue or more swelling

Resuming Athletic Activity Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. Please get approval from your doctor before you begin any workout regimen.

Your surgeon would need to examine and release you

This is a question best answered by your surgeon. In my practice if everything has healed well up to this point, you would be released for full activity. 

Probably but best to check...

Recovery after gynecomastia can vary for each patient depending on the severity and complexity of each case. Generally, patients are asked to avoid strenuous activity and heavy-lifting or about 4-6 weeks. This decreases risks of complications. However, patients can exercise within 2-4 weeks, focusing on other areas, like the lower extremities. My patients are asked to wear a compression vest or garmet to help minimize swelling and provide support for at least 4 weeks. Consult your plastic surgeon to determine whether or not he is ready for more strenuous activity. Best wishes.

Generally you are safe to start back to your old workout routines at 6 weeks, provided your healing has been uneventful.  It is wise to start out slowly and work back to your old pace as intermittent swelling can  happen as you continue to heal.  Always follow your surgeons post-op advice and best of luck.

Dr. K.

Julie Khanna, MD FRCSC
Ontario Plastic Surgeon

Lifting Weights After Gynecomastia Surgery

I allow my patients to return to their regular exercise programs after 6 weeks, but you should get clearance from your surgeon. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Gynecomastia Working out

6 weeks is when i let all patients workout
I would still check with your plastic surgeon for their protocol

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

At 6 weeks you get 80% of the wound's strength so I think you are going to be OK with this type of a work out. Please follow up with your doctor as these issues require the attention of a plastic surgeon.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Follow your Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions.  In general, patients usually resume their workout within 4 to 8 weeks post op.  This depends on the patient's healing.  Best to you and your husband.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Weight liftinfg after six weeks gynecomastia surgery

Yes, he can do anything feels comfortable doing but if he experiences any discomfort he should reduce those activities. Usually by this time there is no restrictions on activities but I would check with you surgeon just to make sure.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon