Front of nose looks bulbous and rounder than desired, 8 days after rhino. Is this normal swelling or is this botched? (Photo)

I had rhinoplasty 8 days ago and I specifically told the plastic surgeon what I wanted. He's well-known and has 4.5 stars on RealSelf. We agreed on the imaging pictures, though I did ask him to do a slight slope to make it more feminine. I had my cast taken off recently and my nose looks very bulbous, eggplant-like, wide and lacks definition. I'm being told it's swelling, but I am unsure, as most of the after pictures of rhinoplasty I have seen look relatively normal after the cast comes off.

1 week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only 1 week after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Front of nose looks bulbous and rounder than desired

I think that your tip and sidewalls of your nose are very swollen but this is not unusual. I disagree that noses look normal when the cast comes off. Moderate swelling is common for anywhere from 1-3 months following surgery. Keep in close contact with your surgeon but your nose is not "botched."

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too Early

You have immediate post operative swelling. This is not your final result. I'm sure you were told this. 
Best.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Post op rhinoplasty

as others have noted, it is very early on in the healing process. contact your surgeon as the cast/tape may not have been on too tight and they may need to retape the nose to help bring the swelling down.  make sure to keep him up to speed on the changes your nose undergoes in the coming weeks to months, as he will want to keep a close eye on the swelling.  Best of luck.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

At 8 days post op you are very early in the healing process.  It is too early to judge your nasal result.  Your doctor may want to re-tape your nose.  Contact your surgeon and express your concerns.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

What you are experiencing is not unusual after a rhinoplasty, especially if the splint/tape wasn't tight.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon - he/she may want to re-tape your nose to help with some of the swelling.  It can take some time before swelling in the tip subsides.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Recovery - Early Phase

Eight days after rhinoplasty the nose is still very swollen.  When the cast is removed, if it was tightly adherent, you can see some semblance of definition in the tip. However, depending on the amount of oil in the patients skin, the cast can start to loosen and the effect of the tape on the nose is minimal in the days leading up to its removal. When this is present, I will sometimes recommend reapplication of the tape.  This is often not possible due to the busy lives that most people lead.  Regardless, after only 8 days I would expect significant swelling.  This swelling will begin to diminish as the days and weeks move along.  At 1 month out approximately 70 to 80% of the swelling will be down, depending on the thickness of your skin. Of course the final result appears at a year after surgery.

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD, FACS
Bethesda Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is normal for there to be significant swelling at only 8 days post op.  It isn't' necessarily an indication of how your nose will look when the swelling abates.  Usually when the splint comes off, the nose looks defined only because the tape and splint were holding the swelling down, but if your tape and splint were not tight or lifted during the days after surgery (before removal), you end up with a swollen looking nose during the "unveiling".  Let your surgeon know your concerns, but rest easy knowing that current swelling does not mean you will not have a good result.  All the best!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling is normal and expected after surgery

At only 8 days after surgery, you are still VERY swollen, and I would not evaluate your results at this point. I tell people that in general, 85% of the swelling is gone after 1 month! 95% at 6 months, and it takes a whole year for all the swelling to go down.  The LAST place to see the final refinements after surgery is the tip, since the tip of the nose has the least lymphatic drainage. Eating a low salt diet, and maintaining good hydration will help your swelling resolve more quickly, but again, you are still very swollen at this point, and it will take time to see your results.  Good Luck!

Dara Liotta, MD

Post Rhinoplasty Concerns

Initial patient anxiety and swelling concerns are completely normal after even the best rhinoplasty surgeries. If only it were possible to have complete recovery and perfect results in the first 8 days! Your final results may take 6 to 12 months or longer, especially with individuals that have thick skin and soft tissue at the nasal tip. 

I recommend seeing your surgeon for exam and reassurance. Your research and selection of an experienced, reputable plastic surgeon suggests to me that everything should turn out well for you. Ask about Rx for steroids or other therapies which may serve to decrease your immediate nasal tip swelling. Keep all of your routine post operative appointments and stay positive while you recover. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon