Excess skin removal options for 32yo F 5'11" and isnt candidate 4 abdominoplasty. (photo)

Plastic surgeon recommended psychiatric help. Doesnt want kids. I work out everyday. 4days kickboxing. 3days yoga/pilates. I cant get weight lower than 163. I have unsightly skin around my abdomen that makes me feel ashamed and disgusted. Shy as a result. At consult, he palpated my belly while I was in a half sit-up and said "my, u certainly do have a hard body under here". He acknowledged the excess skin. But maintained I was a poor candidate. Why? Bc I couldn't make eye contact with him when I had my shirt off? I don't understand.

Loose abdominal skin at age 32

Thanks for your question and photos.  From your description you do need to have a second consultation with another ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon.  You appear to be a candidate for either lipo, mini tummy tuck or less likely a full tummy tuck but the best advice will be received after a face to face examination.  If you have not had a significant weight loss in your past and have not had pregnancies, your high positioned belly button may make it challenging to provide a full tummy tuck and a dramatic improvement.  Smaller procedures will be of help and valuable but your expectations will need to be more conservative.Good luck with your decisions and keep up the great exercise regimen.  Do get another opinion.  Warm regards,
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Why Am I Not a Candidate For Abdominoplasty? Loose Skin But PS Said I Am Not a Candidate

I don't understand why you were told you needed psychiatric help if you expressed concern about loose skin of your abdomen that is distressing to you.  I see patients every day with similar concerns. Sometimes men have severe concerns about loose skin of their abdomen, and they haven't had kids.  Not every abdominoplasty needs work to bring the muscles together, but many women with very strong muscles still have prominent abdomens because of stretch from having children.  Exercise alone does not correct the prominence.  And some women who have not had children also have looseness of their abdominal wall that can be improved with fascial tightening at the time of a tummy tuck. 
The picture submitted shows from the side an abdomen that could benefit from fascial repair as well as removal of excess skin. You are obviously a sensitive person and it appears your feelings were hurt after this consultation.The logical step is to get one or more further consultations from board certified plastic surgeons who do a lot of tummy tucks.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Excess skin removal options for 32yo F 5'11" and isnt candidate 4 abdominoplasty

I'm sorry you had an awkward consultation.  I think the positive message from that encounter, from this picture and from your description, is that you appear to have a healthy strong body that is in terrific shape.  I can tell you objectively, again without the benefit of examining you in person, that your weight is healthy for your height, and you have a nice contour to your abdomen already.  I do appreciate that you have a mild excess of skin and fat, but you have far less than pretty much everyone walking around out there, so take that to heart.  Now, to address your concerns, there are modalities, both invasive and non-invasive, to help firm up, tighten, and remove abdominal tissue.  The best course is to seek another opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon with whom you have better rapport and who understands your concerns.  In the meantime,  I find that patients who remove processed foods, flour and alcohol from their diets find an improvement in their subcutaneous fat within a couple months or so.   I *will* say that your harsh language with yourself is a bit concerning as to your expectations and what you think body contouring will gain you in terms of confidence.  I would encourage you to embrace that you have a great body NOW. Fine tuning the appearance of your belly will "gild the lily" so to speak but not drastically alter your body nor your weight.  All the best to you!

Whitney A. Burrell, MD

A surgeon that doesn't connect with you

should be left in the dust as there are many more where you life who will be happy to do something for you.  Now if your second surgeon says you need psychiatric help, there may be something to that comment.  But from your photos alone, you could have a better contour.  Perfect?  Unlikely but much better and you are trading a scar to have the skin removed so make sure your scar stays LOW as I see way too many high scars on this site.

Curtis Wong, MD

Without examining you it is difficult to say.  I suggest you first make certain that this plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Once you have ascertained this, have him explain to you the reasons why he thinks you need psychiatric help.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

Hello, thanks for your inquiry and for posting your picture. I would say that you might be a candidate for a tummy tuck with just extra skin removal and liposuction. You certainly need to have a second opinion for a better advice. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for lipo vs tummy tuck

You may want to consider visiting with a few more experienced plastic surgeons for other opinions on whether you are a candidate for a tummy tuck (or liposuction). It's difficult to evaluate based on just one photo. 
Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Excess skin options

I can not speak to the consultation that you experienced but if you are interested in non surgical treatments for skin tightening and reduction of some unwanted fat I would consider VaserShape.  We perform this in our office and get good results.  There are other non surgical options you can check into closer to your area.  Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

Thank you for your question. From your photo, you appear to be a possible candidate for Vaser Hi definition liposculpture with fat grafting to the buttocks.  You should get an improved result from liposculpture, giving you a more contoured and hourglass shape with better projection to your buttocks. I have done many body contouring procedures and specialize in Vaser Hi Definition liposculpture. Vaser Hi Definition body sculpting requires extensive specialized training. I am one of few surgeons in the United States that was personally trained by Dr. Alfredo Hoyos, the surgeon that developed this technique. Vaser Hi Definition liposuction uses the concepts of negative and positive spaces in relation to the underlying bony and muscle anatomy to define areas such as your six pack and create an athletic looking physique. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Excess Skin Removal - Tummy Tuck vs Liposuction

Thank you for your question and sharing your picture. I would like to remind you that nothing replaces an in-person consultation. 
Looking at your picture, I understand that the skin and fat around your belly button bothers you. I think a tummy tuck would be possible in you, but would not be the best option. A tummy tuck would be able to remove any excess skin and fat, but would leave a transverse scar across you lower abdomen. You would trade the excess skin and fat for a prominent scar. This may be a good option if you have concurrent abdominal muscle diastasis and your muscles need to be tightened. From your description of your previous consultation, this doesn't sound like the case with you.
Another option, and one that I think will be better, is to have liposuction of your abdominal area and combine it with laser skin tightening. Typically,  the skin envelope will contract and shrink down and tighten after liposuction. IF there is a lot of stretch marks on your skin, the remaining skin will not tighten as much. From your pictures, I don't see any stretch marks. In either case, combining laser skin tightening with your liposuction procedure will help the skin tighten up more and eliminate the loose skin that bothers you. Rather than cutting it out, we would be heating up the skin so that the collagen tightens up. It is akin to heating up plastic wraps and shrink wrap it around boxes and packages.
I would recommend that you see a few more board certified plastic surgeons for a second opinion and explore your other options. This way you can decide on the best option for you. Good Luck!

Perry Liu, MD