Dorsal Bridge looks huge after closed reduction following nasal fracture. Do I need Rhinoplasty or will it resolve? (photo)

I broke my nose 2 days ago following a punch, after which a closed reduction was done. The doctor fixed the crookedness but now my dorsal bridge looks really big and distracting. Will it require surgery to fix it or is it just swelling? I just want my original nose back!

Broken Nose

SO its too soon to tell.  You have both the swelling of your trauma and the closed reduction.  I see you are taping your bridge is the only thing you can do at this time to help the swelling settle.  Its hard to say as the swelling may resolve or you may have a residual fullness.  you will know in about 6-12wks.  I would not do a corrective surgery for 9-12mon though if you need itGood luck

Nasal concerns after fracture

Give yourself more time to let the swelling resolve. However after 6 months if you feel the area is still to much fullness in the bridge you may have this rasped down.

Fred Suess, MD

Dorsal Bridge looks huge after closed reduction following nasal fracture. Do I need Rhinoplasty or will it resolve?

At just 2 days post nasal fracture, it is much too early to determine if a rhinoplasty will be necessary.  It can take up to 6 months for swelling to completely subside following a nasal fracture and reduction.  I would wait at least this amount of time before proceeding with a rhinoplasty.  Give things time to settle and follow the advice of your surgeon.   Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Broken nose and swelling

after a fracture, soft tissue swelling and bony callus will make it look wider. Over 1-2 months most of the skin swelling will go down and in 9-12 months the callus will resolve. Be patient. Your body's healing cannot be sped up. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Bridge looks huge after closed reduction following nasal fracture.

Two days after being fractured and having it repair I'm surprised you don't have more swelling and also bruising. Most swelling will go down by one to two weeks.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal bridge after nasal fracture reduction

Hi there, thank you for your question and photos.  I would recommend patience for now. It is really early after your reduction to judge the results. I can definitely see the nose is straighter now than before the reduction. As swelling goes down you should be able to judge better if it is as straight as before the trauma. Hang in there. It will get better. The reduction should not make the nose "fat" that is just swelling from the manipulation of the nose to straighten it. Hope this information is helpful!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Huge Bridge after Closed Reduction Nasal Fracture

I'm sorry but just 2 days after surgery is impossible to predict what your nose will ultimately look like. As healing progresses over the next 6 months you can begin to evaluate your result. At this time the surgeon who did your procedure can provide the best estimate but you will need to be patient. 

Treatment for a broken and twisted nose

Since it is only been 2 days since you have broken your nose and had surgery for it, the nose is very swollen.  Unfortunately, the swelling takes months to settle down before making a final determination if a rhinoplasty is required to formally straighten it.  When straightening the nose, osteotomies in the nasal bones are usually required.  To straightened the upper lateral cartilages, a spreader graft is usually placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage in the midportion of the nose.  A tip rhinoplasty is required if the nasal tip cartilages are twisted and displaced.  For many  broken nose before and after results from our practice, please see the link and the video below

Recommend Consulting with a Board Certified Surgeon

After a trauma, it is completely normal for the  nose to swell.  Allow a few weeks for the swelling to come down to see the final result.  At that time, I would recommend consulting with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon to discuss options if you are not happy with your nasal appearance.  

Karan Dhir, MD