Can rubbing too hard in the middle of an incision site damage internal stitches? I'm 7 weeks post op eyelid surgery.

I had upper bleph revision incisional eyelid surgery and I noticed the following day after rubbing- where there used to be a smooth arch, there are now 2 disconnecting lines. The crease still looks intact but when I open my eyes, the middle feels "loose". When I look in the mirror now, the eyelid crease looks more "taped on". Is it possible to damage just one site of the eyelid crease?

Internal sutures

rarely used in upper lid blepharoplasty unless you wanted a crease formed or had to have ptosis repaired.  Without disruption of your incisions (which it appears), I wouldn't anticipate anything being damaged by rubbing eyes but you should also know that you shouldn't be rubbing your lids for up to 3 weeks.  You appear to be healing well but for reassurances nothing was damaged, best to check with your surgeon.

Bleph incision 7 weeks postop

When evaluating your incision it appears that it is going through a normal healing process.  At 7 weeks postop it is unlikely that you rubbed the incision "loose", however I would advise against continued rubbing of the area.  Follow up with your surgeon to discuss your concerns and to be evaluated more closely.  Best of luck.

Julie Edween, DO

Upper Lid Blepharoplasty Incision Concern

Dear nem0, Your incision appears to look fine at this time however I would advise you to not rub your eyes as you are still healing and the process takes longer with revision surgery. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Postoperative incisions and rubbing the crease

Your incisions looks good in the photo.  My only advice, moving forward, is to baby the incision, which you are probably already doing.  Best of luck!

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper lid incision

Your incision looks fine.  It would be very hard at 7 weeks to do anything that would damage the scar.  With time it should feel normal again.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Rubbing an eyelid

If the rubbing did not open the incision and create a "wound", I doubt it did any damage. I would recommend you discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

I would consult the surgeon.

Rubbing can harm a healing eyelid.  However, it does not look like the surgeon made a hard crease here so I would not be too ready to feel you "caused" this problem.  A properly made upper eyelid crease is not going to be rubbed out.

Recovering from blepharoplasty and avoiding rubbing

Recovering from blepharoplasty is a delicate healing process. The eyelid skin is some of the thinnest on your body. Rubbing can put unwanted stress on the incision. 

If you accidentally rubbed your incision and feel there is a change. I would recommend letting your surgeon evaluate it as soon as possible. It's important to stick to your surgeon's instructions for a safe and happy result. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait three weeks before rubbing eyes

At 7 weeks it's doubtful you caused any harm. The scar looks about what I would expect at this time frame.

Charles S. Lee, MD