Chin implant removal: submental or intraoral approach?

I have a large 1cm medpor implant with wings that must be removed because of severe bone erosion. I was informed this can't be done with a submental approach since it is difficult to get proper vision as the implant has long wings. Thus an intraoral approach would have to be used. On the other hand I was told the intraoral approach is more likely to cause skin ptosis. Is it not recommended/too challenging risking nerve damage to remove such a large medpor implant through a submental approach?

Chin implant removal

Medpore implants are more difficult to remove than silicone implants but either incision can be used. If the implant was placed through an intraoral incision then I would recommend removing it through an intraoral incision. When this implant is removed, it will probably leave you with a recessive chin and convex profile. Have you given any thought of removing the implant and having the surgeon perform a simultaneous genioplasty? Depending on a few factors, it is posible to have the implant removed and the genioplasty performed to increase the length of your chin to keep your profile the same. This surgery can be performed through an intraoral incision in the office at the same time as removing the implant.  Good luck. 

Medpor Chin Implant Removal

Dear cestlavie,

It will most likely be the choice of the surgeon that you choose as either approach can be used. Personally, if I were removing the implant I would use a sub-mental approach. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Extra vs intraoral route for chin implant

In the vast majority of cases, removing a chin implant, whether it be silicone or in your case Medpor, can be easily accomplished through a submental (under the chin), route.  Good exposure can be obtained though, the incision needs to be wider than what would be required to remove a silicone implant. Yes, using an intraoral route can  present a number of problems including ptosis or droop of the soft tissue of your chin and, less recognized but often times more problematic, droop of your lower lip, exposing your lower teeth.   

Randal Haworth, MD, FACS

Chin implant

Thank you for the question and either approach should work in e hands of an expert.  I would probably use that incision that was used to place the implant originally

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD