Do you have to be a celebrity to get a nose job?

I live in MA and suffer from serious breathing problems. I want to "get it fixed" but surgery scares me and I have never heard of anyone on the east coast doing this. Is it only for LA/rich celebrities? Why would surgeons bother putting in effort on a nobody who can't afford to have good breathing?

of course you don't need to be a celebrity or wealthy to have a rhinoplasty.   I think you should go on a few consults to determine what exactly you need and the costs involved.

Don't have to be a celebrity to get a rhinoplasty!

A nose job (or rhinoplasty) is far more common than you may imagine and you certainly don't have to be a celebrity to get it. If you experience breathing problems, you may have all the more reasons to consider this procedure. Oftentimes, even slight changes to the shape of your nose can produce a dramatic effect on appearance, improve your breathing, and fill you with self-confidence. An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to fully assess your needs and obtain an individualized medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Dear Rosiecon12, Rhinoplasty surgery is not for celebrities only and the majority of our practice is patients who have breathing difficulties and/or aesthetic concerns they want to have addressed. Functional issues with the nose are often covered by insurance. Once an examination is performed then a proper diagnosis can be made regarding the cause of your breathing difficulties. Rhinoplasty is for everyone and is performed daily on the east coast by many surgeons and not just for the rich and famous. See some examples in the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

No.  There are plenty of very talented rhinoplasty experts on the east coast.  Good luck and be well.  Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do You Have to Be A Celebrity to Get a Nose Job?

Of coarse not! Rhinoplasty surgery to improve both appearance and function is the most common cosmetic operation in the country. I don't think there are that many celebrities.

Cosmetic rhinoplasty to change the shape of the nose, functional septoplasty for breathing

A nose job usually refers to a cosmetic rhinoplasty which must be paid for by the patient. It is one of the most common procedures performed in cosmetic surgery in the United States. A septoplasty is performed for functional breathing to improve airflow dynamics through the nose. Once medical necessity has been documented, a septoplasty is usually submitted to medical insurance for payment. Expect co-pays and deductibles depending upon which type of  Medical insurance that you have. Both a septoplasty and  a rhinoplasty can be performed together at the same time under the same general anesthesia with the same recovery period. For more information explaining the differences between a rhinoplasty and a septoplasty, please see the video below

Rhinoplasty is both a functional and cosmetic procedure

As plastic surgeons, we find joy and professional satisfaction when we help people. Rhinoplasty and septoplasty are operations designed to improve the functional mechanics and cosmetic appearance of the nose. 

Rhinoplasty (Nose Job) Is Not Limited To Celebrities

Absolutely, if it is indicated, you could undergo a nose job with restoration of more normal breathing without being a celebrity! While we see celebs prominently in magazines and online who have had nasal surgery like Jennifer Aniston, Cameron Diaz, Blake Lively, Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, Ashley Simpson, and Ashley Tisdale, many "normal" people that aren't excessively wealthy or in the public eye get rhinoplasty or septorhinoplasty to have their nose look better and /or breathe better. According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, rhinoplasty is commonly one of the most popular cosmetic surgical procedures performed. In 2105 more than 143,000 were performed in the U.S. alone.  Nowadays plastic surgery is not just something done by the rich or elite, and is accessible to many. Sometimes, health insurance (according to your plan) will even cover the septal deviation or turbinate hypertrophy treatment that contributes to obstructed nasal breathing. I would suggest go to a board certified plastic surgeon or ENT surgeon who specializes in this type of surgery, and see if it's right for you! Good luck.

Do you have to be a celebrity to have a nose job?

No you don't. The overwhelming majority of people who undergo a rhinoplasty are not famous. You need to see a surgeon that works on the nose, be properly examined and then discuss what needs to be done to correct your problem. Doctors treat patients in order to help them, that could be a cosmetic improvement or a functional issue like you have. That is our job. Best of luck.

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon