Is this a burn scar? Is there treatment? (photos)

This is from a glycolic peel burn left on too long 3 weeks ago done by dermatologist I will never see again. I'm currently using aquaphor, sunscreen spf50 and cocoa butter. Is this a burn scar? Will it resolve? Should I see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon about this? Thank u

Doctor Answers 3

Improving darkening after a chemical peel with Melapads

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Discoloration after a strong chemical peel can be reversed with Melarase AM and Melarase PM followed by Melapads daily. 


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Should improve with time

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is very unlikely that this spot will scar as it appears to be a superficial skin irritation. It should improve with time and completely resolve within a couple months. Continue your skin care regimen and make sure to avoid sun exposure to the area, as the sunlight could darken the irritated skin. If the spot is itchy or scaly, you can try over the counter hydrocortisone 1%. Give it a couple months though before seeing a dermatologist. You do not want to do any unnecessary treatment on this if you do not have to. Hang in there!

Harry Sharata, MD
Madison Dermatologic Surgeon

Glycolic acid peels

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

it is not possible to see what you are talking about from these photos., but it is very rare to get a scar from glycolic acid as it is very mild.  Perhaps it is hyperpigmentation instead of a scar and you should see a board certified dermatologist

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.