Can I bring my old tip back? (Photo)

7 minths ago I had rhinoplasty. I had a nic tip and I didn't want to change it but the surgeon made my tip small and upturend, against my request! It seems like he remover the portion between the red lines. Can cartilage be put back to this area and thus bring my tip back? I know there are other ways to deal with pinched tip, but I'm asking specifically about putting cartilage back from where it was removed. Is that possible? Thank you!

Revision Rhinoplasty

You may still be recovering after your first rhinoplasty.  However, if you are unhappy with the upturned tip, you may consider revision rhinoplasty.  A pinched tip can be addressed with cartilage grafting, but the best recommendation is to consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek. 3-dimensional computer imaging can help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Can I bring my old tip back?

Hello SweetHonwy,
Thanks for your question.
Carefully created and strategically placed cartilage grafts can help elongate you nose and reposition the tip to a less upturned position.  It will be improved depending on the flexibility of the tip skin, but it won't look perfectly like your old nose..
A consultation with a revision rhinoplasty specialist is important for you to best understand your options and limitations when it come to having more surgery performed on your nose.
Additionally it is recommended that you wait until you are 1 year post-op to have the best chance for the outcome you want.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

Your tip can be refined to a more aesthetically appearing state.  Although, making it just like the old tip is unlikely, addressing your areas of concern will improve the current appearance.  Seek out an in-office evaluation to assess what changes are realistically possible.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Getting your original nose back after rhinoplasty

In revision rhinoplasty, one of the common requests is to go back to the original nose.

To get your exact original nose is near impossible. Revision rhinoplasty is much more challenging than a first surgery. Specific deformities require aggressive techniques. There may be functional breathing problems that need correction. The goal is to address these problems while improving the overall appearance. 

I would sit down with a revision specialist who can evaluate your nose and discuss the specific issues that pertain to your nose. This is not a decision to be rushed. Wait a full year for your nose to settle and meet with multiple surgeons. The risks are higher, so it's important that safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon