What is bottoming up?

Dr. Referenced bottoming up in response to question I posted. What is bottoming up and what does it do to nipple position? Elevate it like bottoming out? I started with tuberous breasts, i received a periaerolar lift & implants

What is bottoming up?

Bottoming out perhaps was the intended verbiage.

Los Angeles, CA..........................................

"Bottoming-up"?

44 wendall,

"Bottoming-up" sounds like a typographical error or a misstatement of Bottoming-out.  Extensive Information concerning bottoming-out can be found at the link that follows.  I hope that this helps.

Thomas M. DeWire Sr., MD (retired)
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

"Bottoming up" is not a common term

This is not a term that I think most of us would be familiar with as it is not widely seen; I personally have never seen it.  The only thing I can suggest is that is was either a mistake, or it was a doctor's own take on the term "bottoming out" to refer to the opposite situation.  The reason why I am speculating and suggesting this is because you said that you had tuberous breasts, and I can see how the opposite situation to "bottoming out" can apply in that situation, and a creative doctor might call it "bottoming up."  In other words, in the case of "bottoming out," the breast implants descend below the inframammary fold and the nipple level, leaving the breast to look bottom heavy with the nipples pointing too far upward.  In the case of tuberous breasts, the lower pole breast tissue is usually tight, or constricted, to some degree, and this can keep the implants from descending even to the proper level.  Thus, the implants wind up too high, with the bottom of the breast too high and not filled out, and the nipples pointing downward.  The solution to each situation, of course, is to reposition the implant to a more correct position with respect to the nipple and the inframammary fold.  So, that's a bit of speculation, but it 's the best that I can do with a term, "bottoming up," that I have never heard personally myself.  I'll be interested to see what some more of my colleagues think about it.  Best wishes.

Typo

Thanks. That was probably an error. They most likely meant bottoming out causing the lower pole of the breast to enlarge and the nipple to elevate.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon