Board certified vs non board certified Brazilian butt lift?

I am a 25 year old female 140lbs who wants to do Brazilian butt lift, I have bad anxiety and fear of being put to sleep even though I've always been fine with general anesthesia but my ocd and anxiety is freaking me out and I'm googling embolisms and things that can go wrong. My doctor is well known buti just found out he is not board certified. Is that a red flag? Is someone who is not board certified a bad idea? And what are the risks for death in Brazilian butt lift I heard they are 1 in 5000.

Board certified plastic surgeon

You should chose a surgeon that is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, because this ensures that they have not only undergone several years of rigorous training, but have also demonstrated good judgement and safety in their approach to treat patients.  Once you have found someone board certified by ABPS, you should find someone with great results, and someone you get along with.  Your goal is to have a great result, performed safely.

I think that board certification in plastic surgery is just a minimum requirement.  As a doctor, your goal is to try to refine your technique to improve result and safety in every instance.  If you have performed thousands of these procedures, then the experience will be valuable as well.

Board certified plastic surgeon

Board certified plastic surgeons (American Board of Plastic Surgery) have achieved the highest level of credentialing. If you surgeon is NOT board certified you should ask him or her why not. Fat emboli and pulmonary emboli are very rare with a fat transfer procedure but board certified surgeons typically will have a safer approach to the procedure and its possible complications.

William Bruno, MD

Importance of Board Certification

Thanks for your question -

You should always use a board certified plastic surgeon.  You have a better chance of good results and a lower chance of serious complications.  

Think about it this way - the vast majority of US hospitals will not let a non-board certified plastic surgeon perform plastic surgery procedures in their facilities.  If they think it is a bad idea - you should too!

You absolutely want an actual plastic surgeon that is board certified by the American board of plastic surgery to do your BBL. If your doctor is a plastic surgeon but is board eligible and just hasn't finished the process (it takes about 18months to do), then that is okay but make sure they have enough experience to do a nice job. Usually when the plastic surgeon is not  board certified yet it is because they failed the boards - definite red flag- or they are very new and haven't been out of residency for 18 months yet. This can be a red flag as they may not have done a good number of this type of procedure. Definitely don't go to a doctor that is not a plastic surgeon. 

Thank you for your question. When you're looking for a cosmetic procedure you find a surgeon that has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly experience in Brazilian Butt Lifts.  choose one wisely.  Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. and free Face to face consultation.  A "BBL" Brazilian butt lift harvest fat from areas ( Liposuction ) with the fat removed from the areas using your own fat it transfer to the buttocks and into the hips.The common donor sites for this procedure is your posterior waist/flanks, lateral thighs, back, waist, and anterior tummy.

Rami Ghurani, MD

Board Certified plastic surgeon vs. plastic surgeon

Thank you for your question. Find a board certified plastic surgeon that has performed at least 100 Brazilian Butt Lifts per year is what you should look for. The anticipation of your new look is very exciting; however, the decision to have plastic surgery is a significant one. Choosing the right plastic surgeon is your first and most important step. Being an informed patient is your best defense. Here are a few steps to help you make a good decision. I have included a link below that will help you see why it is important to choose a board certified plastic surgeon.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD

BBL - Board Certified - Red Flags!

Great Question. With any surgery, not just a BBL can propose any number of complications, and death is one. With any surgery your risk(s)/complications are NEVER zero. You should always choose to have your plastic surgery performed by a board certified plastic surgeon. I will provide a link for you to perform a search for board certified surgeons in your area. Best wishes.

Brazilian Butt Lift with Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift is a procedure that can have a large number of complications beyond death. A board certified plastic surgeon generally has the training, experience, and expertise to ensure the best outcome in the safest manner.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS