Authenticity of Botox administered six months ago on 6 January 2016. What to do if the office doesn't keep and provide a record?

I have read that reputable plastic surgeons/dermatologists keep a log on the patient's chart of the vial/lot number and expiration date used for Botox. As I have concerns about the authenticity, I emailed the Plastic Surgeon's Office to check these details. The Plastic Surgeon responded with the following: "We don't usually mark down that data. In 17 years, we have not had any issues with Botox from Allergen." Shouldn't EVERYONE keep that info? Should I be concerned?

Don't Worry

Its a reasonable question, but I think that there are not many offices who chart the vial / lot number of the Botox they use. We do not routinely do so. Botox is so reliable that I have not seen an adverse event that can be attributable to the medication in 13 years of practice. If you are concerned about how long it is lasting you should chat with the office - usually that is an issue of dosage rather than bad Botox. I agree with the previous responses - you can always call Allergan to make sure the doctor is purchasing from them. In the office, you can ask to see the bottle. Allergan Botox has a distinctive hologram that is difficult to counterfeit. Most importantly choose your injector wisely - go for reputation and recommended injector over price.

Authenticity of Botox

Each vial of Botox has a lot number and expiration date on the vial and on the box. This is also true of other neuromodulators such as Dysport and Xeomin. We record this information in every patient's records. However, some offices may not do so.
Most people have concerns if the treatment did not give the desired results. For this reason it is always important to take before and after photographs at your treatments. We take standardized photographs the first time a patient does a treatment. Full results should be seen two weeks later. We rarely have cases where improvement is not seen but we always provide complimentary units at the two week point if this happens. It is important to have an honest and open conversation with your doctor if you do not achieve the results you want.
Most people no longer enjoy their results six months after a Botox treatment. At your next treatment I recommend bringing up any issues with your doctor two weeks after the treatment. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

We do not routinely chart the lot/vial number of Botox.

Other than a few cases of temporary ptosis, temporary brow heaviness, or failure of the product to deliver a desired result, we have not seen any unusual complications after 17 years of using BTX regularly. I have heard of BTX counterfeits, and BTX purchases from a third party, usually at a discounted price. If you are concerned that your doctor isn't using BTX from Allergan, consider calling the company to ensure your doctor purchases product from the source.
Hope this helps.
Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox log

It is absolutely the standard of care that the lot number and expiration date of the injectable be recorded in the patient's chart along with units and location of injections. 

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox authenticity question (Fake Counterfeit)

You can contact Allergan at 800-433-8871. They will investigate this for you. If the product was ordered from Allergan, it is authentic. However, there are gray markets for Botox where the authenticity is dubious. Best.
Stephen Weber MD, FACSDenver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Authenticity of Botox

I am not sure its "standard" or required for anyone to log that information as long as they have it documented when ordered. We do  get the lot numbers and expirations of every vial we order and this is kept with our invoices.  We use so much of this product and check it when it arrives as well as order it directly from the Allergan company that there never has been a reason in many years to have to question this.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Authenticity of Botox

I believe it is very important that all doctors adequately document the procedure performed. For Botox, I believe this includes documenting the lot # and expiration date. I would recommend that your request a copy of your medical record and in particular the procedure note from that date.

Botox records

You are correct that the expiration date, lot number at least must be kept. also often the dilution, area injected, date and side effects. You must remember that the medical record belongs to you and you can request the entire document. if you don't get it I don't know what can be done. if you have some concerns try discussing it with your doctor

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox documentation requirements

Botox is a prescription medication so documentation of administration including lot number, number of units administered and where is absolutely required. If you are unable to obtain this information you can contact the board of medicine in your state. They will look into the issue to be sure that appropriate procedures are being followed. This will be done at no cost to you.Best,Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

Botox logs...

Thank you for your question.  Yes as far as I know, by law they must keep a record of the procedure performed.  Typically this log will contain the vial/lot # in case there is a problem so that it may be reported to Allergan.  Maybe request your entire medical record and see if the info is in there?  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon