If I have an appt for Botox at 3:30 on friday, will I be okay to teach my high intensity cardio the next morning at 10 am?

I am just wondering if the typical 24 hr wait on cardio after botox is strictly 24 hrs or can it be a bit sooner? Like 20 hours after? Also what is the reason for waiting? Will it make your botox less effective? Thanks

Next-Day Cardio Is Fine

Absolutely. I usually tell patients to avoid high-impact exercise for the remainder of the day after their appointments. If you take it easy on Friday evening, you should have no problem teaching your class on Saturday morning. The main reason for waiting is to give the BOTOX time to "settle in" at the injection sites.

Idaho Falls Plastic Surgeon

Exercising a few hours after botox is fine.

Exercising a few hours later after botox should not affect the results of the botox at all.  Go as hard as you want.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Cardio after Botox

Avoiding a supine position, facial massages, and vigorous exercise for 3 hours after injection is recommended to limit migration of the Botox. Therefore, cardio after 24 hours should be fine.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Cardio after Botox

Teaching your cardio class 20 hours after your Botox injections will will not make your Botox less effective. The recommendation to wait 24 hours is a precaution.  Exercise raises your blood pressure, which in turn increases your chances of swelling and brusing. In addition, activities that involve your head dipping down below your waist repeatedly or for long periods of time can lead to side effects caused by migration of the medicine. The recommendation is for patients to be upright for 4 hours after injections. Perhaps discuss your specific situation with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Audrey Klenke, MD
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

NO ONE REALLY KNOWS

I don't know of any studies detailing this.  2 hours is reasonable, perhaps to minimize bruising more than anything else, but this is an arbitrary guess.  There are always exceptions to the rule, but in 24 I would have no hesitation.

Luis Villar, MD, FACS

If I have an appt for Botox at 3:30 on friday, will I be okay to teach my high intensity cardio the next morning at 10 am

The Botox will block the acetylcholine release, the place where they have their effect on the muscle, within 4 hours or less so activity the next day is fine.

Julio Garcia, MD

How long should I wait to exercise following a Botox injection?

You can definitely teach your class the following morning.  I instruct my patients to wait 2 hours after a Botox  injection before they return to exercise.  This time frame prevents the possible spread of Botox to other muscles nearby.  

Elena Vega, DO
New York General Surgeon

Exercise after botox

There will be no effect on your botox.  You will be fine to exercise the next day.  We typically recommend patients avoiding exercise for 4 hours after treatment.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox and Results

Engaging in cardio activity the day after Botox will not make the Botox any less effective. You should have no problem teaching your class. Best, Dr. Emer

Botox and Cardio

Thanks for your question!  I recommend waiting 4 hours post Botox injection before engaging in strenuous activity like cardio.  You should be good to go the next morning!  Best of luck to you!