Is there any alternative to cheek implant? (Photos)

Do cheek implants look natural and do they feel normal?......because my cheeks are flat and too small which makes my face unbalanced and are cheek implants safe ..and can you tell me if im a candiate or not.

Cheek augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

We treat a lot of men like yourself who have flat cheeks. Cheek implants are an option but it has pros and cons. A good alternative is fat grafting (fat transfer) which is long lasting and natural. Fillers are an option too. A consultation is very helpful to give you the best recommendations. Best wishes. 

Cheek augmentation

Hyaluronic Dermal fillers are a good starting point as they are temporary and give you the results of a cheek enhancement with out the commitment of an implant. There are also longer lasting fillers such as Voluma, sculptura, radiesse and Bellafill that can be used to create more defined cheekbones. Fat transfer is also an excellent way to enhance the cheekbones and is permanent. I perform cheek implants in cases where there is an extreme flatness to the cheeks. I verify placement with a camera to maximally it ensure symmetry.  I suggest an in person consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in facial aesthetics to review all your options for optimal results.

Randal Haworth, MD, FACS

Facial evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photographs, you may be a candidate for either malar implants, fillers, or fat grafting.  These three options each could add volume to your upper cheeks.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Cheek Augmentation Alternatives

Thank you for the question and your photos. Yes, it looks like you could use some volume and definition in the upper cheeks. Cheek implants are an option, but this requires surgery and about a week to recover. An alternative would be to use fillers. There are great options -- in my practice, I prefer Radiesse or Voluma. For longer-lasting effects, Bellafill is also available. These products are placed in the office with topical numbing medicine. The procedure takes about 20 minutes and there can be swelling or a little bruising for just a couple days. Best of luck moving forward!

Fillers or implants for cheeks?

Fillers are temporary, must be repeated every 2 years and fat is used often causes asymmetries.Cheek implants feel natural, can be sized, come in different shapes and feel just like bone. See an experienced surgeon who can show you natural results!

Is there any alternative to cheek implants?

Fillers performed in the office setting offer a temporary augmentation to the cheeks. Cheek implants are placed  for a permanent augmentation. The implants themselves are placed  through an intraoral approach directly over the bone and offer a midface volume augmentation. The implants themselves are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined  at the time of the consultation and examination. As long as the implants placed in the proper position, patients are not  able to feel them. For more information, diagrams of the implants themselves, and many before-and-after examples  of cheek implants, please see the link and the video below

Cheek Augmentation with Fillers (Radiesse, Voluma, Bellafill), Sculptra, implants, fat

Contour and volume of the face can be improved with well-placed fillers (Voluma, Radiesse, Bellafill) and Sculptra. This would let you try on the look before committing to a permanent alternative like fat or implants. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a facial sculpting expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Cheek augmentation

Dear drlord,

it is hard to tell without an examination but you might consider fillers. I would suggest you to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon. Only after a thorough examination you will get more information and recommendations.

Generally speaking, Radiesse is definitely the way to go for the cheeks. It has the highest lift factor and last 1-2 years. Radiesse is one of my favorite fillers for the midface. It stimulates a lot of natural collagen production in addition to being a filler so it tends to look more natural than other fillers.  

Daniel Barrett, MD, MHA, MS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  

Member, Am. Society of Plastic Surgery

Daniel Barrett, MD