Can alar cartilage be remolded into a new shape?

My nose was destroyed in a recent revision rhinoplasty by a famous surgeon. The surgeon completely changed the shape. My alar tip was originally bulbous and boxy but the surgeon derotated the tip, deprojected the tip, lowered my lower lateral cartilages down to my alar rims and gave me a horrific tongue and groove. My profile used to have a rounded tip, now it's very pointy. Can my alar cartilage be remolded back to their original positions?

Remolding alar cartilages in revision rhinoplasty

Dear hangininthere,

• Depending on your anatomy, many maneuvers are achievable
  • It sounds like your nose was elongated and it is easier to bring those cartilages back up, than push them down
  • Your tip can be more rounded too
  • It is best to wait 12 months after your revision before having another surgery
  • Please bring these issues up with your surgeon and if you are still not satisfied, it is best to have an exam so all of your concerns can be addressed

Dr. Nima

Revision Rhinoplasty Concerns

Dear hanginginthere, I would suggest speaking with your surgeon regarding your concerns. You are still in the early phase of recovery and will need to let the swelling dissipate before you judge your results. I recall seeing many posts of yours in the past and I would suggest at this time if you feel you are not getting the answers from your surgeon then perhaps have a complimentary consultation with another surgeon for a second opinion. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Revision rhinoplasty results?

it will take one year to see the final result. Discuss this with your surgeon since many of the changes you are seeing may be due to swelling.  If at one year there are changes you still want discuss this with your surgeon or get a second opinion from a very experienced board-certified surgeon and either facial plastic surgery or plastic surgery. 

Remolding of alar cartilage

Changes to the internal structure of the nose (i.e. cartilage) will directly reflect changes externally.  A revision would be necessary to do so, obviously.  Relay your concerns to your surgeon, as your nose will continue to change for several months after surgery, or if you don't feel comfortable, obtain a second opinion by another experienced, Board-Certified plastic surgeon.