600cc's; want to downsize?

Hi I currently have 699 CCs have had them going on two years how would I go about downsizing . I have saline . Can they remove some of the saline and use the same implant or does a new implant of a smaller size have to be put in. I am a DD looking to be a small D how many CCs downs houkd I go

Down size Implants

When you down size you need to change width and projection.  You cannot deflate a saline implant without causing more rippling and increasing the risk of implant rupture.  You may  ultimately be better with silicone as over the life of the implant, the clinical failure rate will be lower and it will save you money.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing

Thank you for your question. It would be best to exchange to implants (with new, appropriately sized silicone/saline implants) after removal of your current ones to avoid rippling/warranty issues you would see by simply removing the saline. You would also need some breast pocket work done to ensure an adequate fit and placement of the new implants. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who you can see in person and have an exam and discussion. All the best :)Benjamin J. Cousins MDBoard Certified Plastic SurgeonMiami Beach, Florida  

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing always possible

but risks come with using the same implants.  Saline implants do have a fill volume and if you were filled to the max, you could remove volume to take you to the minimum fill.  Rippling may occur if your envelop is thin.  To have an appreciable effect, at least 100 cc's will have to be downsized but will that make you a D cup?  Try to visualize the sizers and pick what will make you most comfortable.  If you down size a lot, a lift may be needed but if your nipple is in a good position, perhaps you could ask your surgeon to use the vertical incision approach so your inferior pole could be tightened at the same time.  Some may charge your extra for that... I don't.

Curtis Wong, MD

Downsizing Implants

Thank you for your question.  In order to see a significant change in your size you will need to have an implant exchange.  Downsizing your current implants would most likely cause rippling.  There are other factors that need to be addressed as well such as will you need a lift and pocket size as well.  You might also want to switch to silicone implants.  I suggest that you see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation and exam in order to get the answers to these questions.  Best of luck,Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Downsizing implants

Thank you for your question. In order to really see a significant difference in your size you will likely need to go down 100-150 ccs and you can't take that many cc's out of your current implants without significant rippling.  The manufacture also does not recommend that so your warranty on the implants would be lost.  Best thing is to have a remove and replace with smaller implants.  Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Revision Implant Sizing

Hello,It is unlikely you can remove the desired amount, somewhere around 25% to 30% of the original volume, without severe rippling and deflation of the implant. Furthermore, given your size change,  you'll likely benefit from an internal tightening of the capsule to support a smaller implant. Revision surgery is always more complex then primary surgery. If your surgeon isn't a ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon, you should visit a few for a second opinion.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

600cc's; want to downsize?

Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon for patients who have very large implants placed to have regrets and second thoughts after a period of time.  Such large saline implants are susceptible to rippling and feeling unnatural.
After six months it's stated by the manufacturer that the filling tube should not be reinserted to deflate the implant due to the risk of future valve leakage.  Going to a smaller implant is probably your best choice especially if you exchange from saline to silicone.  To significantly reduce your volume risks excess droopy skin and breast ptosis so realistically you may need to consider some form of skin reduction (breast lift) to allow for good aesthetics.
Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to get an opinion and face-to-face recommendation based on your goals.  If you are excessively round than a lower volume implant may be an option without an uplift but this would be based upon the judgment of your surgeon.
Best wishes and good luck.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best implant you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants.

Downsizing breast implants

I wish it was that easy to just remove sailing to downsize. If you remove the saline, the bag will be under inflated and didn't look very rippled.  Furthermore you were most likely have a bit of extra skin depending on how much you want to downsize and you may need a lift. I would recommend that you use silicone it's a far superior implant. It is very difficult to completely comments and properly recommend what you should have done without examining you in person.

600cc's; want to downsize?

To have a significant volume reduction will require new smaller implants. The best volume to meet your new goals can only be determined after an examination. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD