41 year old female with thin hair. My hair started getting thinner in my twenties, but has not gotten worse?

Is PRP a possibility to help stimulate dormant follicals for new hair growth, especially the crown and sides. would be a dream come true. I have heard varied opinions everywhere from it is effective to it is just preventative, or only helps for sudden hair loss. Thank you for your time.

PRP and dormant follicles; ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS NJ

In my opinion, to regrow dormant  follicles  the hair loss cannot be longer than 5 years. I believe after this time the follicles will not respond to PRP. The other factor that you need to consider is increasing the thickness of the existing hairs. This is usually a result of PRP and can give you a better cosmetic appearance. Hope this helps. Good luck.

PRPHAIRMD.COM 

Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Loss Options-Prp + Progesterone

Yes, prp injections are a great option. I combine them with progesterone for better results. I suggest seeing a hair loss expert to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

PRP

Given the history that you report, I believe you would have a good result with PRP. I recommend finding an experienced provider for a scalp examination.

Hello jcaceres75 - Thanks for your question. PRP injections can augment dormant follicles to increase hair shaft strength and follicular health. I have seen the best results in female patients who want to rethicken the thinning areas. It does help to get your hormones checked to make sure to rule out any treatable conditions that promote hair thinning and loss. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah 

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

41 yo woman with hair loss

PRP(Platelet Rich Plasma) may be a good option for your situation.But first you should have a thorough evaluation by an experienced Hair Restoration surgeon.There are certain conditions that can cause hair loss in women such as thyroid disorders,anemia and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and these should be ruled out as well.Other adjuncts such as Minoxidil and Low Level Laser Light therapy may be helpful as well.These modalities will help stop further loss and might thicken up some of the hair that has become miniaturized.

David Deutsch, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon