3 weeks after male breast reduction, my left breast seems to be larger than my right? Could it be fat or tissue thats left out?

my surgeon told me it was liquid accumulation but he was quite sketchy about the recovery time and all. he also recommended i go through some thermo...(non surgical liposuction) later. I'm not sure if i should trust him or go to another doctor.Also before the operation i was told some fat had has slipped just under my breast so the hole for liposuction on my right was lower compared to my left ,and on removing my vest it gets hard near the nipple

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

3 weeks post op

Thank you for your question. You could always consider revision or seek a second opinion in person down the road if necessary but right now it is much too soon. At 3 weeks swelling, possible asymmetry and other issues are still settling. It may take up to 6 months to see your settled results.

I recommend that you follow your Plastic Surgeon's instructions and try to be patient as you heal.

All the best

Recovery after male breast surgery

You are still very early in the healing process and this may be the cause of your asymmetry.  In general, I recommend that patients allow the chest to heal for at least 6 months before considering any type of further intervention.  I recommend that you continue to follow your surgeon's postoperative recommendations and continue to follow up with him on a routine basis.  Make sure you clearly communicate your concerns with your surgeon and give him an opportunity to explain things to you.  As always, getting a second opinion may give you peace of mind that your are progressing as expected.

Denis L. Gonyon, Jr., MD
Fort Collins Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after Gynecomastia surgery

The asymmetry that you are experiencing may be all due to swelling.  I would give the surgery 3 months to heal.  If you still have fullness the reoperation may be necessary.

Healing After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi koto,
Thanks for the post. At 3 weeks you are very early in the healing process. The primary issues in your case seem to revolve around communication.  It is important to have an open line of communication with your surgeon. If that does not seem achievable then seeking a second opinion may be necessary. At 3 weeks however, there is nothing that can and should he done surgically. I typically recommend waiting at least 6 months before considering a revision procedure.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

I appreciate your question and am sorry.
There could be some asymmetries after surgery. As for other treatments, those are usually discussed before surgery. I haven't seen fat slip anywhere but its hard to give you a great answer without a photo and some more details.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz