I'm 12 days post- op do my breasts appear normal? One is higher than the other. (photos)

The higher breast is slightly tighter than the other. The were even last week. Now one is higher than the other. My surgery was 12 days ago.

Breast Asymmetry

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. I suggest waiting another three to six months for the swelling to subside. Generally it would take around that time for the healing of the breasts. From the pictures provided, you are swelling tremendously so I cannot give you a definite answer. But it is very common for one breast to swell more than the other. Regardless, I recommend speaking with your surgeon if you are still concerned. I wish you the best of luck!

Early asymmetry

Almost certainly if the higher appearing breast is firmer/tigher then this is typical of differential swelling between the breasts which frequently occurs early post surgery and as the muscles relax it will even out

Breast implant higher 12 days after BA

My best advice is to be patient. Your breasts look great. What you are noticing is swelling above your implants giving you the illusion that your implant is higher. One breast ALWAYS swells more than the other. Your implants look like they are in perfect position.  It take 6-8 weeks for your breast to "settle" after a BA. By that time your swelling will be gone and your breasts fully healed. Follow all of your surgeons' post op instructions. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

I'm 12 days post- op do my breasts appear normal?

Dear Ms.Confidence

As I suspect your surgeon discussed with you, it take nearly 3 months for your breast implants to settle to their near final position and about 6 months for your breasts to take final shape. The breasts are often asymetric prior to surgery and implants will also descend and take final position at different times. At this point, be patient and give it time.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Asymmetry

It does appear one implant is sitting higher, and it seems to be above the inframammary incision.  This could be due to swelling, but I must say it seems unusual that this wasn't there from the beginning.  Regardless, there really is nothing you can do that is effective other than wait.  Bands and massage are useless.  Really. Any surgeon that advocates their use should provide you with the scientific articles that support their effectiveness. I hate seeing women given false hope, and when things don't get better they blame themselves for not doing it right. Be patient, and give it 6 months. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry

You are correct that one implant seems to be sitting higher than the other. Notify you plastic surgeon so that they may evaluate you. They may want to institute and upper pole breast band as well as breast massage.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets, sometimes you heal quicker in one breast than the other and one implant can even drop sooner than the other one.  If one implant is still sitting too high, the use of a breast binder and a foam wedge is beneficial to add downward pressure to that breast. I would start to perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

One breast higher than the other

Difficult to tell from you photos but I would highly recommend wearing a breast band which will help you keep your implants down until they settle down; I prefer the Mermaid breast band.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Position differences in breasts 12 days post-op

Thank you for your question and photos.

From the photos, it is clear that there is mild asymmetry between the breasts.

I humbly request you to not be discouraged and know that you are not alone in feeling this. Large number of women experience differences in their breasts few days to few weeks after surgery and feel awful. After waiting for a few months, they finally get the results they were hoping for.

Implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio, and the nipples will move up higher. Currently, there may be excessive upper pole fullness (> 55:45) in both sides, so in time, this will change.

Please note that it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates. In fact, the process I described above can occur quicker in one breast over another.

Also note that any asymmetry that existed in breasts before surgery will continue to exist as breast augmentation only works to increase size of the breasts, and it does not fix asymmetry.

You may have to wait 3-6 months for the final results. You are only 12 days into recovery, so there is a lot of time for the “drop and fluff.” If the breasts still appear different at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

With persistent inward and downward breast massaging, along with pole wraps, the breasts drop.

Patience is key!

Please continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Asymmetry after Augmentation

Looking at the photos, I do agree that one side is sitting higher that the other.  Even though we don't have your before photos, it does appear that you may have had some asymmetry prior to surgery.

At this point given how early your are in the healing process, the best thing to do is to sit tight and wait 4-6 months from the time of your surgery and then re-assess the results then.  There will be quit a few changes that your breasts will go through during this time. 

Although it is very difficult to be patient during this process, it is in your best interest.  Once you are 4-6 months out, you can see if the asymmetry still persists and how bad is it at that time.  Then you can decide if it is worthwhile going back in to adjusts things.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD