Can a doctor give me much smaller than what I want!?

I have my pre-op appointment soon. My doctor is super conservative; however I don't want his conservatism trump what I want either. I am in my 50's 5 ft 3 in and weigh 123 lbs. I want 350 cc mp. Everywhere I read about my doctor, it says patient wanted what I wanted, and gave them like 200 cc. I don't understand this. I see much smaller women getting much larger implants. Should I worry about him purposely giving me smaller size than what I want?

Implant choice

Hello and thank you for your question. The choice of the size of the implant is made between the surgeon and the patient and should be a mutual decision.  The surgeon can help provide guidance for what sizes will work for you anatomically.  I usually tell my patients that we will decide between one of two implant sizes when in the operating room.  For example, 325 or 350 and the patient signs consent for this.  If you are concerned that your surgeon may go from 350 to 200, then you should definitely have a direct conversation with your surgeon and seek consultation elsewhere.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Implant choice...Patient Choice vs. Patient anatomy

When discussing implant choice there are a number of factors to take into account. Most patients focus primarily on volume/cup size. Your surgeon, however, must take into account the unique measurements which define your particular chest wall dimensions.

While it is true, implant choice is ultimately up to the patient, your surgeon can be an invaluable tool in guiding you to the appropriate choice. The best decisions are informed decisions. Patients should allow their surgeons to be an informational resource. He/she can often guide you to a general size range which would be appropriate for your particular chest wall dimensions. From those options, a patient should be able to find an acceptable volume.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon. If there does not appear to be room for compromise seek a second option.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Sizing issues with breast augmentation

Having concerns about trusting your surgeon prior to a surgery is a serious matter. If you want a particular size implant and you are concerned that he is going to put in another very different size, then you have to have a candid talk with him about that. If you don't believe after these discussions that your surgeon is going to listen to you then seeking a second opinion is a great idea.
Good luck,
RSH 

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Can your doctor give you smaller than what you want?

Sometimes, I recommend smaller implants for a patient because of what her anatomy will allow.  Typically, that is a young patient that has never had any children and so her tissues are very tight.  I would suggest having another meeting with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.  Good luck!

Choosing a size

Choosing a size is all about a healthy conversation between you and your plastic surgeon. Anatomy and the size of your breast "footprint" or dimensions of your chest can help pick an implant. The thickness of the overlying breast is also an important factor in implant selection. Different implants have different projection and this varies by manufacturer. Picking the right implant for you depends on a number of factors and talking about this in consultation is the best way to go. Good luck, MMT

Implant Size

It is important that you can have open and honest discussions with your surgeon.  If you are not, then I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with another surgeon.  As for breast implant sizing, the size depends on your body measurements.  If you go too large, then the implant will be visible through the skin.  If you go to small then there will be a mismatch.  In my office we use VECTRA 3D imaging.  In addition to preview possible results on your own body, the technology also takes measurements of your breasts  and we are able to show you a range of implants that will fit your body.  This is very important in picking an implant that will meet your expectations but also is realistic in terms of outcome.

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD

Implants

If you doubt your surgeon then go somewhere else for a second opinion or for surgery. You have to be comfortable. Best of luck.

Implant Size

Thank you for your question and sorry that you are having some concerns about your upcoming breast augmentation procedure.  To determine the ideal implant size for you, the width of your breast needs to be taken into consideration.  I would advise you to explain your concerns about implant size directly to your plastic surgeon at your pre-op appointment.  If you do not feel completely comfortable with your plastic surgeon and do not have a high confidence level in achieving an excellent result, then please consider obtaining a second opinion. Best of luck!

Breast implant sizing

Dear 58,
Sometimes things get twisted or lost in translation when reading reviews or chat posts.  In other words, there could be one disgruntled patient posting many entries on different sites about receiving a breast implant that was much smaller than what she had expected.  So, first consider the source of your information.  Second, I personally love it when a patient says to me "this is what I want, a 350cc implant,"  unless it is a completely unreasonable request based on tissue characteristics or other variables...rarely the case for a 350cc implant.  A straightforward discussion with your surgeon during the preop appointment may just make his job easier and make you both happier.  Good luck!

Implant size

Implant size is confusing because most women think that any size implant can be placed and, furthermore, that the exact size can be determined beforehand. There are a lot of variables involved and the surgeon has much to consider, including pleasing the patient but also making sure that she doesn't get into trouble because of an implant that is too large by a little or a lot. A frank conversation with your surgeon can be the best way to resolve this. Best of luck.

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon