Is Voluma long lasting?

Hi Doctors, I have had 1/2 syringe of voluma in each cheek and spaced them out past 3 months- so essentially 1.5 syringes in each cheek/3 syringes. ( I spaced treatments for natural results) My question is: in 2 years will my cheeks lose volume that they had and go back to original size and will have to purchase another 3 syringes in 2 years or can I just "top off" or "touch up" with a syringe or so? Thank you all!

Juvederm Fillers

We typically see our patients within 1 year after initial injections to determine need for "top-up". There are numerous factors involved including the extent of your initial volume loss, your athleticism (it's well known that more physically active patients metabolize their filler faster), age and location of injection. 

Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Voluma

Hi Roxyj – thank you for sending in your questions. Studies show that Voluma last up to 2 years, so at that anniversary, you may be back to your baseline and require the same amount of syringes to achieve the results. That being said, there are some studies that indicate that your own collagen production is boosted with the presence of filler. To be safe, I would visit your doctor at the 1 to 1 ½ year mark for an evaluation and booster treatment to maintain your results. Staying ahead of total dermal filler dissipation will allow you to “touch-up” your treatment, rather than starting from baseline. I hope that helps!

David C. Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma

Most likely you will want to do a syringe of Voluma in your cheeks (I syringe total) each year for maintenance.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Voluma longevity

Voluma has been shown to last for two years.  That being said, just because the product is present does not mean you will have the result you desire.  There is a critical volume that is required to produce a certain look. Once you dip below that critical threshold the result will change little by little.  Most patients find it helpful to get enough product to reach their desired look and then have smaller touch ups over time to keep the outcome they desired.

Camille Cash, MD

Duration of Voluma

The official duration of Voluma listed by the FDA is 24 months. 

Important points the note about this: that means it was holding the FDA correction at 24 months, but in reality the product last significantly longer than that. The product degrades slowly over time, it doesn't just all of a sudden disappear one day and you go from having a full tank to an empty tank.

What that means for you, your subsequent treatments may not require as much volume because there is some residual product from the prior treatments left behind. This is true of all fillers.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma

The parent company of Voluma claims the product lasts at least two years and possibly longer. I doubt you will see a dramatic deflation at two years. However, over time, you might start feeling like you need more product. At that time, go in and have another treatment with your plastic surgeon. Voluma is a great product. You really can't go wrong with it!

Terry E. Restivo, DO
Napa Physician

How Long Does Voluma Last?

The basic answer has already been given here -- Voluma lasts somewhere between a year and two.

What is important is that you plan to keep up with both the slow deterioration and absorption of the material and your natural aging process, which despite the Voluma, does not stop.

Over time, you will need touch ups of the product or newer products as they are developed (maybe even longer lasting!)

You can certainly have one Voluma treatment and never repeat it, but if you, like me personally, like the look and effect, plan to keep it up and continue to look refreshed and rejuvenated. 

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Is Voluma long lasting?

Thank you for your excellent question. Though Voluma is indeed long acting, upwards of 1-2 years, it will slowly get absorbed over that time, with most patients electing to have "touch ups" in order to maintain their appearance.  

Voluma duration

Thank you for your question.  I would say the best approach to fillers is to first get optimally treated.  Then return for maintenance as soon as you notice some of the signs of aging return.  You may be coming back more frequently with your Voluma treatments, but you will also be using less volume with each treatment.
Also, in their studies they used multiple syringes in each side, so patients noticed the effects for longer periods.

Depends upon your face

The aging process continues during the time that Volume is supporting and lifting your cheeks.  When it wears off, the time is not fully determined and each face ages differently, you will have aged a bit more since the filler injections. 
The ideal way to receive the fillers, Radiesse or Volume, is to time another procedure prior there wearing off.  This will maintain or enhance your appearance.