Is my nose overprotected, or is it just swelling? (Photo)

Hi doctors. I had rhinoplasty done overseas almost 8 weeks ago. It's a bit complicated, but I can't ask my surgeon concerns until this December. I was very happy with my nose 4 weeks post-op (first picture), but have become concerned with my nose tip (second picture, 7 weeks post-op). I feel like my nose bridge has become curvier, and the nose tip appears over projected. Is this just swelling that will "soften"? My nose tip is still hard. I hope my nose appears how it looked at 4 weeks post-op.

2 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire. It's too early to make value judgments with only 2 months after a rhinoplasty. Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Postop changes

Initially there was edema in the nasal dorsum and from the radix all the way to the nasal tip there was a straight line.  Now that the swelling has subsided from the dorsum you see a mild curve.  Aesthetically speaking is still looks excellent.  I would not be concerned about it.
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal swelling

It is too early to tell. You still have a lot of swelling and this can take a year or longer to dissipate.

Rhino results

It is way to early to say. The swelling in the tip area will persist up to one year. You can follow the progress by feeling it soften over time. You will need to stay patient. Thus far you appear to have a very nice result but there is a reason we wait.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Thank you for your question and photographs.Remember, you should always address any post-operative concerns with your primary surgeon.  It is very important to remember it takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. I hope you find this helpful. 
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty changes in follow up.

Very perceptive analysis of the changes.You had good proportions in the earlier photo.In the second the edema has reduced in the upper 2/3 and stayed the same or even increased in the lower 1/3 (likely due to gravity - is it worse toward the end of the day in comparison to in the morning when you wake up?)So what can you do?Be patient and you can do some taping of the tip at night and when you are not in the public eye during the day - but you should get some direct guidance for this, not sure how to do this given you cant make contact until Dec.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Patience after rhinoplasty

it can be very difficult to tell what your final result will be in the first several months after surgery.   Certainly, we routinely see changes over at least one year. So for now, if possible, try to relax and not dwell on this too much. When you see your surgeon in December you will be able to discuss the progress.

Patrick J. Byrne, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon