How do I choose breast implants if I have one mastectomy and one natural breast? I would like to enlarge my natural breast

How do I choose breast implants if I have one mastectomy with no nipple side and one natural breast side? I would like to enlarge my natural breast size. On my mastectomy side, I would like to have the implant along with a fat graft. I also have had a skin expander for 19 years but it collapsed 9 year ago.

How do I choose breast implants if I have one mastectomy and one natural breast?

Thanks for the question. This is a complicated issue. The options for implants are expansive and the ultimate choice of size, shape, texture depends on many factors including your body dimensions, the size of the other breast/reconstruction and any limiting factors. All this requires a complete examination and discussion with an experienced plastic surgeon. You might wish to obtain several opinions. 

I hope this helps/

BRK

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast reconstruction

First, you will likely need to have re-expansion. I would say once you get to the volume you like, then an implant can be easily chosen for that breast.  Matching the other side should then follow..

Implant

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  An experienced breast reconstructive surgeon will be able to help guide you.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD