Would scars around navel prior to abdominoplasty affect blood supply to the "new" navel?

i have done several consults with surgeons to fix my diastasis recti/excess abdominal skin. The surgeon i'm leaning toward wants to do an umbilical float instead of the T scar because i already have several scars around my navel (stretched out navel ring above and a 1.5" scar below from when my gallbladder was removed) and he is concerned about the blood supply in that area affecting the healing of the new navel. Is this a valid concern? I see a lot of Drs aren't big on the umbilical float technique.

Blood Supply to Navel

Thanks for your question.  It would be better not to have to float the umbilicus if possible.  In terms of the circulation, it would really depend on the location of the scars.  Sometimes, cutting around the belly button will help with developing secondary circulation to the area, but this is difficult to say without a proper examination.  I hope this information is helpful. 

Thank you for your question.  Without a series of photographs to demonstrate your scars it is difficult to offer definite recommendations.  Blood supply to the navel is a very important consideration in any tummy tuck procedure and can be affected by prior tummy tucks or other surgeries that involved scars being placed around the belly button.  If your scars do not go circumferentially around the navel either a float or traditional tummy tuck is likely fine, but if they do go circumferentially around i would not recommend floating the umbilicus, the traditional method is likely better.  Speak to your surgeon about your concerns they should be able to best explain compromised blood flow based on your scar location

Umbilical float

Thank you for your question. I performed a Brazilian  liposuction  abdominoplasty and never performed an umbilical float procedure.  In my opinion, you cannot properly excise enough tissue to obtain an excellent result using the umbilical float .  The principles of the Brazilian liposuction abdominoplasty allow for an excellent blood supply procedure. Best wishes !

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. This is a common question and a tummy tuck can still usually be performed safely in this setting.  However, you would need an in-person consultation for more accurate advice.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD