After taking glue off nipple area my areola isn't "connected" to breast skin in a couple places. Is this normal? (Photo)

I had breast augmentation 15 days ago along with areola reduction. My doctor told me after 10 days I could take off the glue around areolas& put Neosporin on. So tonight I pulled most of glue off and left areola looked good. But right areola had a couple places there were places that had 2-3 millimeter long spaces where areola isnt "connected"to my breast skin. Im afraid maybe I pulled out stitches or something. This cant be normal? What should I do? Im really worried about it!!

Incision

It is not uncommon to have minor superficial separation of the edges. This typically heals quickly and uneventfully. If you have concern, let your surgeon know.

Report wound healing issues after breast augmentation to your surgeon.

Minor wound issues with a periareolar approach to breast augmentation are not uncommon. The photographs are of poor quality but I see nothing alarming. Nevertheless, this is something you should report to your surgeon.

After taking glue off nipple area my areola isn't "connected" to breast skin in a couple places. Is this normal?

Thank you for your question and photos.  This is not at all uncommon.  These tiny areas should heal up with some local wound care.  Listen to your surgeon and use the topical antibiotic as instructed and I would expect this to close up in no time.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Am I healing properly?

Hi.  I can't really tell what's going on.  Your pictures as I see them are out of focus.  It is not uncommon to have 'spitting sutures' that will work their way through the skin and cause separation. Follow up with your plastic surgeon.  With good care the separation should heal well without significant surgical intervention.  Good luck!

Normal

I know it's scary looking, but it is normal to have small areas along the incision line that are slightly separated. These should heal quickly. However, if they become red, or warm to the touch, it could be sign of infection and see your surgeon. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Skin separation

Skin separation along the suture line is common. This can happen with and without th use of glue.

I recommend cleaning the area daily. Some surgeons may recommend sterri strips.

Once the skin heals you may consider 3M paper tape.

Under the unlikely event the scar becomes wide or prominent at this point a scar revision may be of value.

please note the pictures are hard to interpret. 

A Anzarut

Alexander Anzarut, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation effect on areolas

It is common to have slight separation at the areola skin junctions. Wash the wounds with dove bar of soap twice a day and apply Bacitracin ointment. Check with your plastic surgeon, you will be Ok, good luck….

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Areolar incision

Thank you for your question.It is not unusual and also minor, Most of the time it heals by itself. Please talk to your surgeon.

Wound separation

Your pictures made me suddenly feel longsighted, but for what I can see there is nothing to worry about. Those little gaps should close pretty quickly. I would recommend to inform your surgeon, anyway.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Minor skin edge separation is not uncommon. Nonetheless, you should have your surgeon examine this area to be sure. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon