Who is Best at Administering Fillers, Cosmetic Dermatologists or Plastic Surgeons

my doc is an eye specialist. I'd really appreciate your response. Thank you.

Doctor Answers 9

No preference

I would certainly echo the sentiment of the other physicians. There are excellent and not-so-excellent physicians who are board certified. I would suggest though that you have a physician perform your injections and not leave the task to other individuals. While the injections are not that difficult to perform, dealing with complications can be.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon
3.9 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Dermatologists vs. Plastic Surgeons

Both dermatologists and plastic surgeons are well trained to perform injection of fillers. Be sure that your dermatologist or plastic surgeon is board certified.

After that, consider things like experience in injecting, whether they perform the injections themselves, and good communication with your doctor.

Be sure to find someone who is willing to take the time to work with you.

I hope this helps.

Steven H. Williams, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

You can experience good results with both

When it comes to soft tissue fillers, there are excellent (and not so excellent) injectors that are either Board-Certified Dermatologists or Board-Certified Plastic Surgeons. After you've verified their training, I would encourage you to look at their before and after photos-- this will give you a sense of the results they can achieve.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 149 reviews

More about the individual than training background

Physicians from a variety of different training backgrounds do an excellent job injecting fillers. It sounds like your doctor is likely an oculoplastic surgeon - these doctors often inject fillers very well, both around the eyes, and elsewhere on the face.

Dermatologists, Plastic Surgeons, and Facial Plastic Surgeons are all qualified to perform injectables.

Some surgeons argue that since they can also present surgical options knowledgably (eg. at what point should you stop injecting the tear trough and starting considering a blepharoplasty), they can provide a more balanced viewpoint to the patient.

On the other hand, some dermatologists argue that since they do not (generally) perform surgery, they have a greater focus on injectables and have more refined techniques.

The bottom line is you need to determine if your doctor has a wide experience with fillers and has an artistic vision that matches your goals. The best way to do that is to communicate clearly what you want and look at a bunch of the doctor's before and after pics.

Hope that helps.

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

You are looking for an experienced, knowledgeable injector

Because so many people, both physicians and non-physicians, perform injectable fillers, this is an area of intense marketing and questionable information. As a physician, I would recommend that you have someone with proven experience and education perform these procedures. It's hard to beat medical school and residency for detailed knowledge of the anatomy of the face and the composition of the different layers of the tissue, but ultimately you want your injector to have experience so you can benefit from nuance techniques that he or she may have picked up along the way. Both Board Certified dermatologists as well as Board Certified plastic surgeons usually have both the knowledge and experience to provide you with a great result. Ask your injector for some referrals and find out how happy previous patients have been!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Things to consider with Opthalmologist filler injectors

There are no hard and fast rules here. It is quite possible that your ophthalmologist is highly qualified. But here are some items to consider.

  1. But one good question is where is your opthalmologist injecting? If he/she is injecting around the eye, it is a good bet that they understand the anatomy well.
  2. How long have they been injecting?
  3. Are they certified?
  4. Are their prices too low and why? Is this a way of building a practice and attracting patients that they otherwise could not bring in?
  5. Do you know other patients that have been injected?
  6. Have they injected other staff members? If their staff are not willing to be injected, what does that tell you?
  7. Are they in good standing with their medical community? Are they on staff at the hospital? Any complaints with the medical board, etc?
  8. Are there any online reviews?
  9. Why are they injecting? Is their primary practice successful or is this part of their comprehensive cosmetic practice?

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 81 reviews

Fillers and doctors

I think you should stick with one of the core board certified doctors that are specifially trained in asethetic procedures. This includes: dermatologists, plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, and oculoplastic surgeons. All the other doctors who purport to being trained do not have the same training as these 4.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Depends on training and talent

A good injector will depend on his knowldge of anatomy, the material he is using in addition to his artistic eye and hand. Both plastic surgeons and dermatologist could have these traits.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Filler injection is more art than science

Even though dermatologists and plastic surgeons have totally different training, it is certainly the case that there are excellent injectors in both groups. It is an art form of sorts. Look at pictures of patients from any doctor you visit and you will see a reflection of their artistry and can decide if they are the right doctor for you.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 67 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.