Holes under the areola after breast augmentation surgery. (photos)

I have had breast augmentation surgery 5 weeks ago, I now have one hole under each areola which is open and seems deeper every day; bright yellow discharge with no smell and a bit of blood seep from it. My breasts are very sore because I have submuscular implants. I have internal absorbable sutures but they're not getting absorbed. I clean my breasts every day with disinfectant and I am allergic to silicone bandages. Is this normal and if not what should I do? My surgeon is not responding.

Post breast surgery problem

I would advise urgent assessment by a fully qualified plastic surgeon who is experienced in cosmetic breast surgery. This ideally should be your original surgeon. Wound problems need to be managed promptly and carefully. If the wounds are deteriorating as you say I would recommend you see someone without delay.

All the very best,

Jonathan Adamthwaite FRCS (Plast) Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Liverpool Plastic Surgeon

Holes under the areola after breast augmentation surgery.

Small wound separation is not uncommon in breast lift surgery recovery.  Please followup with your surgeon about management.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. Sometimes when a breast lift with augmentation is performed, we can last longer with the scar healing process.. It is very important for you to not do big efforts and to try to not move your arms up, because anything you do can open your scars. Besides that you can apply antibiotic creams to prevent any infections.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Holes under nipples

Thanks for your question. From your photographs I presume that you had a breast augmentation with a lift (mastopexy) from the shape of your scars. The areas most prone to poor healing are the "T" junctions either in the breast crease under the breast (the most common site) or under the nipples (as in your case). It appears that the wounds have opened up here slightly, but the wounds appear clean. Your implants are also under the muscles which means that it is harder for any infection to get down to them. However I would recommend starting on antibiotics as a precaution, keeping them dressed, and continuing to try and contact your surgeon for a review. If you can't get hold of them, then arrange to see someone locally. If clean the wounds should be able to be closed directly. Regarding the sutures, absorbable sutures normally take several months to dissolve, so it is normal for them to still be present at 5 weeks. Your breast shape looks very good, and you should have a great result once everything settles.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon