Breast enlargement the second time.

I have breast enlargement 1 year ago & i want to go bigger! I was very happy with my doctor so would ho back to him but i am wanting to know if there are more risks involved with having it done a second time also is the cost the same?

Secondary breast surgery

The good news: The second time round implant placement is usually less painful,always provided that the implant was placed under the muscle during the first surgery.

The bad news:Statistically secondary implant surgery yields a higher risk of capsular contracture and seroma.

The most important think for patients to understand is that most complications in re-augmentation surgery are related to excessive implant weight. Also a bigger implant will not only change the size, but also the shape of the breasts.

Spain Plastic Surgeon

Repeat surgery

Many times, repeat surgery is less painful because the tissue has already been stretched. You will have to discuss the costs with your surgeon. The operating room fee and anesthesia will probably be about the same, but your surgeon may give you a reduced fee, depending upon how much time it has been since your original surgery. If you choose another surgeon, you will probably pay full price.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast enlargement the second time.

Thank you for the question.  Although it is not possible to provide you with definitive advice without an person evaluation, most patients are able to "go larger" at a second stage, once the breast tissues have expanded (after first-time breast augmentation).  Sometimes, during this revisionary surgery, adjustment of the breast implant capsules is also necessary to achieve the desired outcome.

Online consultants will not be able to help you with predictions regarding cost of surgery; much will depend on exactly what procedure is performed. Patients in our practice will receive discounted surgeons fees when undergoing these types of procedures. Generally speaking, the risks of the procedure are very similar to first-time breast augmentation procedures.  However, assuming the breast implants are kept in the same "space", discomfort and recovery concerns are generally less than  that experienced after first breast augmentation surgery.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D or DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.