Do I need to wear some funny protective clothing after lipo?

I thought it's a banal procedure, I just read for 1 month you need to stay in a suit all day.

In most cases with a significant amount of fat removed by liposuction, a compression garment is necessary. I've not heard them described as funny, however

The amount of time for the compression garment is about one week, and then you can wear Spanks. Your plastic surgeon will decide this in relation to what you are having done.

The purpose of compression is to speed the recovery time and reduce the swelling.

Thank you for your question, and best of luck to you

Funny protective clothing is not necessary after liposuction however compressive supportive garments are.  One exception is the area of the arms which I unbandage within 24 hours of the procedure without the need for compression.  Reduction of swelling will occur more rapidly if you do wear a compressive garment on your trunk or on your thighs.  Our normal routine is to wear the garments for 4 to 6 weeks.  Good luck with your procedure and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Liposuction garment??

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Because of the swelling after liposuction, you will be more comfortable wearing a support garment afterwards.
  • Your surgeon will order it for you.
  • You will need to wear it for at least 2 weeks or longer - depending on how much liposuction is done, what your surgeon recommends and how comfortable you are without it.
  • For small areas of liposuction, garments are not needed -- and that may be the case for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Compression garments important for optimal liposuction results

Thank you for your question. The answer is that yes, wearing compression garments after liposuction is indicated to avoid complications and to assure the best possible result. Immediately and during the first few to several days after surgery, compression garments minimize bleeding and bruising and prevent development of fluid collections (seromas). Later in the post liposuction recovery, garments help to promote contraction of skin and a more smooth and even contour of the treatment areas. Specific protocols vary between individual surgeons and patients. In general compression garments should be worn  around the clock until the risk of bleeding and fluid collections has resolved; usually between 1 and 2 weeks. Part time use of the garments should then be continued until all swelling and inflammation in the treatment areas has resolved; usually up to 4 to 6 weeks. Most post-surgical garments are not excessively bulky and can be worn comfortably beneath everyday clothing. 

Good luck!

Dr. Polo

Max Polo, MD

Compression after Lipo

Think of your body as a wet sponge after lipo. The tissues just love to hold onto water/edema following the passage of the lipo tube back and forth through your fat tissue. I recommend around the clock garment wear for 3 weeks, and then half a day for 3 weeks. Is it absolutely essential...no...but I find my patients are much more comfortable with the reduced swelling they appreciate while wearing the garment. Best wishes.

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Compression garment

Some surgeons recommend compression garments and some do not.  Best to ask your surgeon. I like patients to wear it about 3-6 weeks.

Lipo and clothing

Thank you for your question. Garments are essential and important after lipo to help reduce swelling and help the body heal faster with less pain. I recommend to wear 1 week all day followed by for 3 weeks for about 12 hrs a day. Please check with your PS

Compression after liposuction

Compression garments aren't some weird bodysuits. If you have abdominal liposuction, it would be a binder or the equivalent of a panty girdle.  These are worn for a few weeks. I give my patients flexibility in wearing the garment after the first week if they have special functions to attend.  

Do I need to wear some funny clothing after lipo?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  In most cases after a liposuction procedure patients are placed into a compression garment that helps reduce soft tissue swelling.  Any reduction in swelling will help improve any recovery discomfort and aid with your skin retraction.  Hope this helps.