How to reduce nose swelling after rhinoplasty?

I've had rhinplasty 12 days ago and my nose has swollen alot . Im just wondering how can i help it get better sooner because i really don't like using the tapes when im out.

Post op Swelling

Thank you for sharing your question. Swelling is highly variable depending on your skin type and the surgical interventions performed. In general, keeping your head elevated, cool compresses, limiting excess salt consumption, and sometimes tape can help.  If your surgeon requested that you use tape, he may also have a specific desire to compress a specific nasal area to give you the best contours. You should contact the surgeons office to ask any specific questions that remain if you are reluctant to use the tape. Their answer may reinforce the importance of this step in reaching your post-operative goal. I hope this helps. Take care. 

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire. It's too early to make value judgments with 2 weeks after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Nasal swelling

Nasal swelling is something that improves with time. Best of luck with your results..................

Swelling after rhinoplasty

It is completely normal to have persistent swelling at 12 days after your surgery.  After the cast is removed it is common for the nose to swell up again and this is why many doctors recommend tape for some time after.  There is not much you can do to drastically speed up this process.  Avoid strenuous activity, keep your head elevated and use ice if your surgeon says it is OK.  It will take a few more months at least for the swelling to completely resolve, but you should see significant improvements in the next few weeks.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Swelling is normal after a rhinoplasty.  It can vary from patient to patient.  A large portion of the swelling will have resolved by one month but some swelling will last up to a year.  You are in the very early post op period.  Head elevation and taping are your best options.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Nasal swelling after rhinoplasty is one of the most frustrating effects for the surgeon, as well as for the patient.  In the immediate period, ice, arnica, taping and a thermoplastic splint are used to prevent swelling.  Once the splint is removed, keeping your head elevated, lowering excess salt intake, and keeping your heart rate lower can help avoid unnecessary swelling.  Then, depending on other variables, such as nasal tip skin thickness and the amount of work performed, the only true answer is time.

Nasal swelling

Unfortunately, at your stage, it is simply a matter of time to allow your body to complete the healing process and resorb the swelling. Conservative measure that may help a degree include head elevation, avoiding strenuous exercise, low salt intake, and cool compresses. I usually provide my patients with a splint to wear over their noses at night; however, taping (even though you don't like it--sorry) can also help.Try not to worry about it too much right now. As the weeks go by you will see your nose looking better and better!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon