What would be the most effective procedure to return my reconstructed lobes to relative symmetry? (Photos)

I underwent lobe reconstruction about a year ago to repair stretched (gauged) ears. While the results were an improvement, the lobes are still not symmetrical. One is fuller yet shows indentation from scarring, while the other is noticeably less taut. I have since consulted with a dermatologist regarding dermal fillers, but she expressed concern (though uncertain) that the scarring may impede any desired effects. What would be the most effective procedure to return my lobes to relative symmetry?

Doctor Answers 2

Ear Lobe Symmetry

Fillers would be a temporary solution to address the volume of the lobe. Even though there is scar present dermal filler would still help address the symmetry even if temporarily. With gauged earlobes volume loss is a key factor and must be considered during reconstruction. The good news is that even though you may notice a visible difference, most human eyes cannot pick up this difference. Our eyes are not set to be able to see both earlobes at the same time therefore most people will not notice a difference. If it bothers you significantly a filler, which is often used for the purposes of "earlobe rejuvination" may be a useful treatment for the short term. For surgical treatment you would have to reduce the size of the less full side in order to obtain symmetry as surgical restoration of lost earlobe volume is not possible. Hope that helps!

Houston Physician


It appears that the scar on the left side is a bit more depressed and likely has less volume than the right side.  Fat grafting (by harvesting some fat from another part of your body) into the left earlobe can restore some of the volume and may help to soften up the scar.

Soumo Banerji, MD
Pasadena Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.