What can be done about the unevenness in my lips ? (photos)

For a while I have been wanting to do something about the unevenness in my upper lip. When I smile it's like My lip disappears. The right side of my lip dips down a lot more then my left. I do have a mole on my upper right lip that may be causing this problem. I do not want the mole removed but I would like to do something to make my upper lip more even. I have thought about Botox on the smaller side but I prefer something that is more permanent. What are my options? Thank you!

Uneven lip solution

The best way to help this problem is with a skilled filler injector. I would probably use Restylane for this because it has more support and less spreading effect. This will give about 4-6 months of improvement. Repeated injections may give up to 6-8  months, but only after a couple years of injections.

Achieving a balanced lip contour

Sometimes the lips don't have equal bone support which could result in uneven contour, so adding volume or reshaping is not always the answer.  During consultation, I invite patients to view their face structurally, rather than as we most often do, by the lines or the imperfections we see.  Understanding the underlying cause of these subtle issues is key to treating them.  The ideal smile and lip profile is dependent on many factors which is one of the reason we see so many people who have had their "lips done" AND not necessarily, in my view, a thoughtful way.  A consultation with a doctor who specializes in facial injections, whether a surgeon or dermatologist, can explain how to best optimize your smile, your lips and what would be best to produce a long lasting result that's balanced with the rest of your facial architecture.  In my practice we collaborate with specialists including cosmetic dentists to provide results that rejuvenate and appear natural.  Often a little neurotoxin, such as botox, can relax certain muscles to create a more ideal lip volume and symmetry.  Combination injection therapy can usually solve the dilemma you are experiencing.  I hope that helps and best of luck. 

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane

Fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane can be used to augment the lip and create additional shape while treating asymmetry. Because you are seeking a different shape, I would suggest you see an expert for treatment and someone who truly understands contouring. Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip filler

Lip filler more ont he smaller side can be performed to better balance the two. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Lip Asymmetry

Yor best option is conservative lip augmentation with a temporary filler like Juvederm Ultra plus. If you like the look, then you can consider something more permanent, like fat grafting. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Lip asymmetry

Hello, and thanks for your question. 
I do think your lip asymmetry could be improved with a hyaluronic acid filler. However, I always remind me patients that everyone's face is asymmetric, and in chasing "perfect" symmetry one runs the risk of adding more product than is really needed. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon. 
Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Uneveness in lips

Fillers like Juvederm can help restore a more symmetrical look to your lips.  Natural, symmetrical results can be achieved in the right hands.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Correction of Lip Asymmetry

Thank you for the photos.  As stated previously, the best way to correct the asymmetry of your upper lip is to add more volume.  Dermal fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane provide an excellent option with little or no downtime.  I suggest an in person consultation to discuss your goals.  Good Luck!

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Asymmetry

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Based on your photograph, you appear to be an excellent candidate for lip augmentation with a dermal filler such as Juvederm.  A conservative lip augmentation can correct any areas of asymmetry.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your concerns and your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Best wishes! 

What can be done about the unevenness in my lips

Thank you for your question and photograph.  I agree that your right upper lip appears to have slightly less volume than your left upper lip and placement of a dermal filler should help improve upon this asymmetry.  Dermal filler placement will also help limit your lip disappearing while smiling.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to maximize your results.