Should I consider IPL?

I'm 18 years of age, and I'm a female. I've been struggling with dark spots/marks since I was younger and I've been through so many products and nothing seems to help. Should I consider IPL?

IPL is an option

Thanks for your question.  IPL is definitely a good option for removing dark spots.  However, there are other options including Pico and Yag lasers.  Medical grade skin care and facials can also help.  Keep in mind that your skin type, medications, location of pigment, and various factor may influence the choice of treatment.  In our clinic we recommend performing a test patch before proceeding with laser treatment or IPL.  Best of luck!

IPL?

Hello, and thanks for your question. I would need to see a photo before suggesting a specific treatment plan. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL Candidate

While IPL can work great for the proper candidate, the most important initial step is to choose an experienced and expert board certified physician who can offer multiple options to you. Once you find a physician who understands your goals and objectives, then he or she can help guide you with the treatment program.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Forget The IPL; See A Board Certified Aesthetic Dermatologist To Tailor The Treatment Of Your Dark Spots

The best approach to treating dark spots is to have your particular problem diagnosed and evaluated by a board certified, aesthetic dermatologist. Through the past three decades, I have had the opportunity to see many treatment medication and device fads see their hay day and then fade from the scene to replaced by another "next best thing" to come along..  Microdermabrasion, IPL, fraxels, radiofrequency devices (often touted or advertised as one-size-fits-all machines to treat a wide variety of skin problems)  have all had their advocates, although unfortunately, in my experience, the results of treatment with these not uncommonly ultimately prove "variable," "inconsisent," "subtle," etc., in effect not worth the time, effort, or money. There are fortunately a number of different at-home prescription preparations and in-office superficial peels that have an excellent track record for treating a variety of blotchy skin pigmentation problems, and an in-person consultation with a board certified, aesthetic dermatologist, as I mentioned earlier, is likely to prove a far more worthwhile approach to dealing with your problem than stumbling with blind hope from one aesthetician or medspa treatment to another. Best of luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Should I consider IPL

You need proper diagnosis from a dermatologist to see if the types of browns spots you have would even benefit from IPL. I have many patients who see me for treatments who've tried IPL for things that it simply cannot treat. Like melasma or seborrheic keratosis. If technicians don't have proper training they will often attempt to treat skin conditions like these, frustrating patients because what they have won't benefit from IPL. So even though IPL is a GREAT treatment for many skin issues, you need to see a dermatologist to see if it's right for you and what you have and are trying to treat. "This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

IPL

Hello,  thanks for your question.  It is very hard to answer your question without photos. IPL works well for brown pigmentation, but we avoid to use for dark skin. I recommend you to start using daily sunscreen and sun protection and have consultation with a dermatologist who does laser treatments.

Kevin T. Belasco, DO
Newport Beach Dermatologist

IPL and dark spots

Treating dark spots depends on a lot of factors including your skin type and texture.  IPL works for patients with very light skin.  If you have darker skin then chemical peels or other treatments may be more beneficial.  Please consult an expert in cosmetic dermatology.  Best, Dr. Green

Should I consider IPL?

Thanks for your query. There are various options available. Combination treatments seems to work better like chemical peel and Ndyag laser along with proper home regime works best for dark spots and pigmentation. Hope it helps.Thanks for your query. There are various options available. Combination treatments seems to work better like chemical peel and Ndyag laser along with proper home regime works best for dark spots and pigmentation. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Hyperpigmentation/Melasma On Face -- Lasers, Clear + Brilliant/Viva, Microneelding/PRP, Skin lightening, Aerolase

Combination
therapy of lasers, skin care, peels, microneedling will give
improvement. You will need to maintain it long term.Please see an
expert. Best, Dr. Emer