I have a few crows feet around my eyes, but under my right eye, I have a vein that pops out - Botox?

Can this be fixed with botox? Also, why is it that most places do not inject botox under the eyes when the indications say that it is

Botox for crows feet

smolina1204,

Botox is considered off label use for the crows feet and under the eyes in treating fine lines and wrinkles. Botox is not a treatment for veins.  Veins around the eyes may be successfuly treated with lasers.  Consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for further evaluation and your various options.  Good luck!

Botox under eyes

What indication are you referring to that states Botox is "indicated" for under eyes? expert cosmetic physicians are able to use it in patients with hypertrophic muscle but not for wrinkles and it can cause significant problems in the wrong hands. Also, Botox does not treat veins. Please consult a board certified dermatologist, facial plastic or general plastic surgeon.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for crows feet

Botox around the eyes in the area of the crows feet is an off label use. However I perform these injections roughly 15 to 20 times weekly. If there is a vein in that area, obviously I try to avoid it. Treatment of peri-orbital veins can be achieved with some lasering techniques. Injection of lines underneath the lid is absolutely off label and often times can change the shape of the lower eyelid. I would recommend that you seek the advice of an expert in injector and a facial plastic surgeon.

Roberto E. Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi there, under the eyes veins can be treated very well with the 1064 YAG laser. Botox under the eye is not FDA approved. Therefore it is considered off label use. I would definitely treat your crows feet with Botox and could definitely could put a little Botox under your eyes to open them up a little more. Good luck, Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Vein near eye

These veins can be treated nicely, in most cases, with the 1064 YAG laser.  

The other injections (apart from crow's feet) around the eye are "off label", but are commonly done by expert injectors.

Botox under the eye

Botox is fda approved for the lateral crows feet only. However many doctors use it Under the eye including myself. It Has to be for the correct patient not everybody looks good with Botox done under the eye but some people if you don't do it they get a lot of lines in that area it's almost compensatory also this happens across the nasal bridge.  Regarding the vein best to try to miss it with Botox injections so that there isn't a large bruise! Depending on what the vein  looks like it may become more prominent after Botox its unclear. Best to get a consultation with a great board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with a lot of experience with Botox. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox with vein around eye

Thank you for your question. You can absolutely treat that area and minimize bruising by seeing a skilled injector.  There are tools to visualize where the vein is in an attempt to reduce the chance of any bruising. Botox or Dysport placed carefully around your crows feet will allow for a softer and smoother appearance. If the vein in itself bothers you, there is a vascular laser available to close that superficial vein.  It is important to note that that closing that vein does not compromise function or blood flow to your eye.

Feel free to contact my office for any question.

Ariel Ostad MD PC

Ariel Ostad, MD

Getting the right combination with Botox and Yag laser

A combination approach will give you the results you want. Botox is a great option for crow's feet and long pulsed yag lasers work fantastic for under eye veins. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Botox: crow's feet, but not under the eye

Botox (like Xeomin, Dysport) is a medication injected into target muscles of the face to selectively relax them for fewer/softer wrinkles.

Botox is excellent for the crow's feet wrinkles on the side of your eye. It is injected into the orbicularis oculi muscle. Injecting under the eye is not recommended as you can lose support of the lower eyelid, create swelling (affecting the muscles that squeeze out fluid from the lower eyelid), or affect your smile. 

With a good evaluation and proper technique, you can have a safe injection and happy result. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and crow's feet

Botox is not used to shrink veins around the face.  I prefer to use it on the lateral crow's feet. Some will inject around the lower lid but this may cause "exposure" of the orbital fat contents due to weakening of the muscle sling.