Is it possible to get necrosis from a BA?

Is it possible to get necrosis from any type of invasive surgery? Does birth control increase the risk of this happening?

Not Common

This is not a common results while undergoing a straightforward breast augmentation.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Best wishes!
Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Necrosis and surgery

Necrosis occurs typically when there is insufficient blood flow to the area or from infection. It is a very rare risk related to breast augmentation. Birth control is believed to increase the risk of blood clots, but not necrosis.

Breast augmentation

It is unusual for someone to have necrosis of tissue after a breast augmentation and being on birth control does not increase that risk. Birth control may increase your risk of a DVT or clot in your leg.

Complications From Breast Augmentation

Necrosis would not be expected or likely with BA alone but possibly, in rare cases where more extensive incisions and disruption to blood flow occur. The risk of infection is always present with any surgery. Follow up closely with your Plastic Surgeon to ensure that you heal well.

All the best

Necrosis from breast implants

From breast implants alone, I cannot imagine how one would end up with tissue necrosis.  If combined with a breast lift, then that is a possibility.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  I have never heard of necrosis with a breast augmentation alone.  Risks increase when a breast augmentation is performed in conjunction with another breast operation like a lift.  Birth control does not increase your risk of skin or tissue necrosis.  Hope this helps.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. With appropriate technique, necrosis from a breast augmentation would be extremely rare.  I have never seen this. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

I have never heard or seen of necrosis from Breast Augmentation alone.  However this can occur with a Breast Lift or Breast Reduction or Breast Reconstrucion.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon