Revision with closed rhinoplasty ? Is it a viable option?

I had a closed rhinoplasty to fix a deviated septum and a crooked nose. The septum was fixed,but when I took the cast off, my nose was still the same.First he though that my nose had memory, so the 2 surgery with cartilage grafting was needed.Then he though that he made a mistake with the fractures, and he thinks that he can fix it by extremely breaking the nose. If my nose really had memory, how long does it take to came back to crooked?Is it normal for this to happen? Is the closed one viable?

Dear prc22, I would suggest that you may want to seek some secondary opinions so you have a better idea of what needs to be done technically to ensure you have the result you are looking for next time. It is quite unusual for the nose to look the same after rhinoplasty surgery some modifications including straightening the nose should be visible. If incomplete osteotomies were performed then this may be the case why your surgeon is stating he needs to fracture the nose. It is impossible really to say without an in person examination or a full set of photographs. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty revision

I think that in order to say what might be best, you would need to be seen in person. I will say that septal cartilage does have memory and wants to go back to its original position. That is why grafts/sutures can be very helpful tools to minimize this risk.

Close Secondary Rhinoplasty

The decision to choose a closed or an open second procedure is based on what needs to be done. Many minor flaws can be corrected through a closed technique. However, I strongly recommend that you go along with the recommendation of the surgeon whom you trust rather than worrying about the open or closed technique. The incision often heals well enough not to be found easily on the other hand this technique enables the surgeon to complete the surgery with more precision.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

It is not possible to comment without any photos. It would be unusual for the nose to be "same"after the splint was removed.

Closed rhinoplasty

Without pictures, it is difficult to give proper advise. Correcting a crooked nose is very challenging to say the least. Sometimes, it is a good idea to get a second opinion.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon