My neck is causing me to look very aged - what is the quickest remedy to combat this?

Neck Lift Removes Sag And Defines Jaw

There are several surgical and nonsurgical options available to you, depending on your individual anatomy and skin elasticity. While you might benefit from noninvasive procedures such as micro-needling to stimulate the production of collagen and Botox injections to relax the platysmal muscle that is causing banding on your neck, a neck lift will give you the most dramatic results. It can also last for up to several years, while the nonsurgical treatments will need to be repeated after 3 to 4 months. To get the specific answer you need, I recommend consulting with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon.

Noninvasive and Surgical Options for Pronounced Platysma Bands

Thank you very much for your question and photograph. From your picture, it does appear that you have platysma bands that have become more pronounced with aging. There are a variety of excellent noninvasive and surgical options available today. Botox injections are a simple way to temporarily ease the protruding muscle bands without any downtime. A surgical neck lift can be used to both tighten these muscles and smooth lax, stretched skin. I would recommend that you schedule an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, to further discuss the most appropriate techniques to improve the appearance of your neck

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Neck lifts help delay turkey wattle

Hi thanks for your question.  Neck lifts are in demand because the neck is one of the first places where we show our age. Fatty jowls, a “turkey wattle,” vertical banding and horizontal creases all work together to make us look older than we feel. A neck lift enhances the appearance of the neck by tightening the skin and underlying muscles and improving the contour of the jawline. This procedure is often performed in conjunction with liposuction, a facelift, or a cheek lift but may also be done as a stand-alone procedure.  If only minimal contouring is needed, this procedure can be done with liposuction alone. The procedure for a full neck lift will involve Incisions under the chin and/or behind the ears, tightening the platysma muscle is tightened and sewn together (corset platysmaplasty), Excess skin and fat is carefully trimmed away, Tissue and skin are repositioned and secured with sutures and finally, incisions are closed and drains may be placed before the wounds are bandaged.  If you are in good general health, have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate for this procedure.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting neck bands.

The easiest option to see if your platysma bands can be made better is Botox injections into the muscles.  This may improve your neck contour and if it doesn't, you should speak with a board certified plastic surgeon about a neck lift which can tighten the muscles and smooth them so your neck would look smooth.  Your photos are helpful but an in person examination is needed to give you the best recommendations.

Many options for neck lift

Hi Pam in Louisiana.  Thanks for the photo.  Your underlying muscle bands can be softened with botox injections.  You would be a candidate for skin tightening as well-multiple nonsurgical devices are available (Ultherapy, Profound, CoreE2, Infini, etc.).  Be sure to see an ABPS certified Plastic Surgeon if you wish to have longer lasting surgical treatment with tightening of the muscle bands and removal of excess skin.  Best wishes,

Neck Skin and Platysmal Bands -- VASER Hi Def Liposuction/ThermiRF, Venus Legacy/Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox/Dysport

Surgery can be performed to tighten the neck muscles or non invasive options like botox can be used to relax the Platysmal Bands. I suggest consulting with an expert for an in person evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer

Neck lift - what is quickest fix?

Thank you for asking about your neck lift.
  • You have prominent bands of muscle in the neck platysma muscle
  • This muscle lies directly under the skin.
  • If this is your only concern, Botox injections along the muscle bands is the easiet and least expensive solution.
  • See a plastic surgeon to have this done - to be sure this is all you need done.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Quickest Remedy to Improve Neck

I need to see a full set of pictures as described on my website to evaluate your neck. If your only problem is the bands under your chin Botox injections can relax muscle bands but this has to be repeated every 3-4 months. Another alternative is a small surgical procedure to eliminate and/or tighten the underlying lax muscle. More information and pictures please.

Treatment for the aging neck

Treatment for the aging neck can include a facelift or a neck lift. A full set of photographs are required to make a determination about what may be required in addition to a physical examination. The platysmal muscle bands  that are present in the photograph can be addressed with a platysma plasty. Anticipate 2 weeks of visible bruising and swelling after any surgical procedure. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Quick Fix for Neck Bands

The neck bands you are seeing are the inner edges of a muscle called the Platysma which extends from the lower face across the side and front of the neck to the chest. These can be smoothed nicely with injections of eith Xeomin/Dysport or Botox or for a permanent correction by a Meck Ludy operation in which the edges are cut and stitched to each other and the muscle is pulled up from the sides accentuating the neck angle. 
Dr. Peter A. AldeaMemphis, TN