I have something hanging from my vagina, what is it? Is there anyway to get rid of it? (photo)

I don't remember if I have had this since I was little but I just notched it like 3 years ago. I'm very self conscious about it and don't want to do anything with guys because of it. I would just like to know what it is and why I have it. Is there any way I can get rid of it or do I have to deal with it. And my vagina is two different colors any way to fix that also?

I am self conscious about the way I look. What should I do?

Based upon your photo there is nothing abnormal with your genitalia.  You mention not liking the "two different colors."  I do notice darker pigmentation of your labia minora.  This is your inner lips and may be what you are referring to as hanging out.  You can see photos of other women with enlarged labia minora here on Realself under "labiaplasty."  This would be the procedure to handle the "extra skin."  You will notice that most women who choose to undergo that procedure have far more excess skin than you do.  Labiaplasty can be performed but I would not recommend it without careful thought over a year or three.

As cosmetic surgeons, we make our living helping our patients by performing surgery to improve their appearances. But its very important to choose the right patient for the right operation at the right time.  And its better to avoid surgery when possible.  I suspect based upon your photo and the nature of your concerns that you are a young woman who has not been sexually active.  If you were my daughter or my patient the advice I would want you to understand is that sexual relations are very important in life and can be wonderful and meaningful.  But sex with the wrong person or at the wrong time in your life usually results in pain and regret rather than life long fulfillment and happiness and meaning.  In a relationship with a person who loves you for who you are in addition to being sexually attracted to you - the appearance or your genitalia (which are perfectly fine) will not make a difference to you or to him.   Sometimes the sensation of being self conscious is a good thing because it prevents us from doing things at a young age that we would be better off waiting until we are stronger and more able to make decisions that result in our long term happiness.

There is nothing hanging from your vagina that shouldn't be hanging from your vagina

There is no basis for you to be self conscious about your Totally Normal Labia Minora if it's your perception that guys would care. Men don't care about the appearance of labia minora. Women who undergo labiaplasty simply don't like the appearance for their own personal aesthetic reasons.

Labia minora enlargement

You are complaining about your labia minora, which are enlarged.  In that case, a labiaplasty is a good idea, but it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks.  It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed.  If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Understanding normal anatomy...

You appear quite normal. Your labia (the "skin" curtaining the vaginal opening) may be made smaller if you wish- just make sure you go to a specialist in labiaplasty surgery, NOT just your "general Gyno, who is not trained in this delicsate surgery. Also, every woman in the world has 2 colors "down there..." The outside skin will be variable shades of tan, cream color, brown or black, depending on your ethnicity, but the vulvar vestibule (the opening) and the vagina (inside) will be pink, just like the inside of your mouth. NORMAL. Check the weblink below for "...anatomy basics..."

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Though not exactly sure of the area of your concern it appears that you may have some excess labia minora tissue present.  Some women may have, or develop, enlarged or asymmetrical labia that can make exercise, sexual intercourse, or wearing certain types of clothing difficult. In these instances, a labiaplasty allows for a reduction in the size of the labia, while also making a more symmetrical pairing.  Due largely to hormonal effects the tissues of the labia minora can darken leading to a difference in colors, this too can be addressed with a labiaplasty.  Be sure to see a labiaplasty specialist in order to maximize your results.