Would I Be Able to Benefit from a Non Surgical Nose Job or Would I Need Nose Surgery?

If i did get a non surgey nose job to fix the drop in my nose will my nose be really big or point up to much?

Non-surgical rhinoplasty demystified

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Deciding whether you are or are not a candidate for a non-surgical nose job really depends on your goals. The best candidates for a non-surgical nose job are typically the following types of patients: 1) Those who want the bridge of their nose raised or who want a hump hidden to achieve a more feminine profile 2) Patients with a nose that deviates to one side or the other. Filler can help make it look more straight 3) Patients with features in the tip that appear too harsh or pointy and need softening. Fillers can help create a much smoother and balanced appearance. What non-surgical nose jobs can't do are help patients narrow their nose, make it project (stick out) less, or help with breathing. For these issues a surgical rhinoplasty is required.

It is very important to know that a non-surgical rhinoplasty is a VERY advanced and technically challenging procedure to do safely. Too much filler in any given area can cause issues with blood supply to the skin on the nose so it is essential that you have a physician who is comfortable in rhinoplasty perform the procedure. There must be an utmost respect for the anatomy and blood supply of the nose. In experienced hands it can be done safely and beautifully with results that enhance the appearance of the nose and really help patients feel more confident.

Depending on the filler used, the results typically last between 1 and 2 years. The procedure is performed after topical numbing creme is applied and should be performed in a meticulous fashion. This means that the procedure typically takes about 45 minutes.

I hope that helps!

Jeffrey Watson, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Graduate, Harvard Medical School

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical nose job

A non-surgical nose job involves the injection of filler material e.g. Radiesse, restylane or juvederm under the skin to help reshape the nose.   This works best when the patient has a minor irregularity or asymmetry they would like corrected.   True nasal reshaping: elevating the tip, diminishing the droop, making the nose smaller, remedying a bump can only be accomplished with a nose job or rhinoplasty.    Fillers in the nose are not without problems and should only be done by experienced nasal surgeons and filler injectors.   If done incorrectly contour irregularities could persist for months or even years following these injections.   As the nose is a relatively immobile structure these fillers can last for a long time or even cause permanent contour problems.  Infections, granulomas can occur causing a permanent and sometimes undesirable nasal change that can only be corrected with surgery. 

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be careful when considering nasal fillers

There are limited indications for a non-surgical rhinoplasty. Tip elevation should not be one of them. You are risking adding bulk to the nasal base and tip areas, without achieving meaningful elevation. In my opinion, small nasal humps represent the only scenario in which fillers can be of potential benefit. 

Consider the following potential downsides of fillers in the nose:

• fillers are temporary and require ongoing re-injections
  • can cause irregularities, especially in the areas where nasal skin is thin
  • cannot narrow nasal bridge or provide improved tip definition
  • can cause permanent nasal skin loss and scarring 

Hope this helps,

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD

Fillers in the nose can be disastrous

There are a few points that you need to keep in mind when researching nasal surgery. First of all, injectable materials can cause many problems when placed into the nose. Further, from what you are describing, injectables would unlikely be of benefit. A "dropped tip" is usually either the result of inadequate structural support, an overly projecting bump across the nasal bridge, or both. In any event, these issues really can only be corrected with a well executed rhinoplasty operation.

Fillres in the Nose: Rarely Beneficial

In my opinion, use of fillers in the nose is best described as a technique seeking an application.  There are very few circumstances where use of fillers in the nose provides an equivalent or superior alternative to surgical Rhinoplasty.

Avoid Non-surgical Injectable Filler for Droopy Nose

First, be very careful with any injections into the nose. The nose is very susceptible to color changes, discoloration, swelling, blood flow, pain, numbness, and other potential complications with inappropriate injections into the nose.

There isn't a filler on the market currently that is FDA approved for injection into the nose. Everything is being used off-label. Fillers should never be placed into the tip of the nose, since complications may more likely occur at the nasal tip. Fillers should only placed in the bridge to help smooth contour irregularities and to provide augmentation. Fillers which have been used for nonsurgical rhinoplasty include Radiesse and hyaluronic acids.

Depending on the specific anatomy of your nose and your desires, I suggest first speaking with a rhinoplasty surgeon who can use computer imaging to simulate rhinoplasty. You'll be able to visualize in real time what possibilities are potentially available. A droopy nose is generally not improved with nonsurgical rhinoplasty. Only after a comprehensive in-person evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine the appropriate options for you.

Dr. Chaboki

Non-surgical "rhinoplasty" is most useful for filling in asymmetry or camouflaging contour deformities of the nose de

Non-surgical "rhinoplasty" is most useful for filling in asymmetry or camouflaging contour deformities of the nose. Significant changes in the shape, projection or rotation of the nasal tip typically require surgery.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Fillers for the Nose

It is very difficult to assess your issues without pictures.  From what you seem to be describing as your desires, you are looking for increased tip projection and rotation of the nasal tip.  Both corrections cannot be achieved with any permanence using filler materials.  Permanent rotation and projection of the nasal tip comes by manipulation of the nasal cartilage, something only achievable with surgery.  Small irregularities of the bridge are really the only good areas to address with fillers.  Good Luck.... Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers or Rhinoplasty

Without pictures I cannot answer what is best for your nose. Most often, I encourage patients to have a rhinoplasty which provides a permanent solution. In some cases, fillers do give a patient temporary improvement.

Fillers for a non surgical nose job

If you want to explore an non surgical solution for your nose, you should have some filler placed in the nose. Have the MD start out with small amounts as you always can have more filler added.