Could I Benefit from a Chin Implant? (photo)

I want to achieve a better facial structure, and sometimes I feel like my chin is too small, but in certain pictures it looks o.k. I'm also considering rhinoplasty and I read that it's good to get both of the procedures together.

The balance between a person's nasal shape & chin must be considered in choosing whether to undergo chin augmentation #RealSelf

The balance between a person's nasal shape & chin must be considered in choosing whether to undergo chin augmentation. The key is "harmony" between the various facial structures. Based on your limited photos it does appear that your chin is slightly retruded and could benefit from augmentation. During a consultation your Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon will be able to discuss with you whether a chin implant will achieve your goals. In some cases performing rhinoplasty to re-shape the nose at the same time will provide the most pleasing results.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

C

It is necessary to get a proper examination done by a board accredited plastic surgeon. After observing your pictures you could be a candidate for chin augmentation. Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. Chin augmentation most often is used to restore balance to the face due to a weak chin (under-projecting in profile). This disproportion of facial structure—having a small chin—tends to make the nose look larger and results in a poor jaw/neckline. As it doesn’t support the neck skin, often it causes skin to hang down from the upper neck and can lead eventually to a “turkey waddle” deformity. Chin implants can also create a wider, stronger chin. They can also be used to lengthen the face slightly.

It is a very simple outpatient procedure typically done in the plastic surgeon’s office or in a surgery center. It is usually done under local anesthesia with oral sedation or intravenous sedation, but can be done under general anesthesia if requested.

It is very important to select a highly-skilled, board-certified plastic surgeon, such as one of our doctors, to aid you in selecting the implants and insertion methods that will give you the best possible result.

#chinaugmentation
#chinimplant

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Facial Augmentation

Yes, you may be a candidate. When the chin is weak or undersized, it disturbs facial balance and harmony. A short chin may make your nose appear larger and more conspicuous, an overbite appear more pronounced or a double chin appear worse.Often, this procedure may be performed at the time of nasal plastic surgery or neck contouring procedures such as facelift or cervicofacial liposuction. Facial augmentation or implant surgery is one of facial plastic surgery's most gratifying procedures. It provides immediate and effective results that can last a lifetime, while dramatically improving facial harmony. The chin implant can enhance facial highlights, improve facial definition and correct nature's insufficiencies.It is important to choose a Facial Plastic Surgeon and have a consult to include imaging to know for sure if these procedures are right for you.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

Performing a chin implant will give a nice augmentation to the chin area and also make the nose look less prominent.  It is very common to have both a rhinoplasty and chin implant performed at the same time, usually under a general anesthesia.  A chin implant can be performed under local anesthesia if that is the only procedure the patient desires.  The incision for this procedure is placed in the submental area.  The implant is then placed directly over the bone to give a nice augmentation.  Performing only they chin implant will give facial balance and make the nose look less prominent.

Chin augmentation candidate

You could benefit from chin augmentation. This type of surgery is often combined with rhinoplasty as they both can bring better balance to the face.

An assessment of your entire face would allow for the formulation of a better plan. You should also discuss your specific concerns regarding your nose with your potential surgeon.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin implants and chin liposuction treatment

A chin implant will help provide lateral projection of the chin and is a relatively simple procedure that has large benefits in patients.  I often treat patients with a chin augmentation and chin liposuction concurrently. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Candidate for Chin Implant

You are a candidate for a chin implant and perhaps submental liposuction. It is advantageous to do a rhinoplasty and chin augmentation at the same time because the patient has only one operation and recovery.

You may consult a reputable facial plastic surgeon to see if you're a candidate for Chin Implant Surgery.

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

Your photos are suboptimal for advising you on the suitability of rhinoplasty and chin implant surgery. You may want to repost your question with better photos addressing your concerns.

Your profile demonstrates a mildly retrusive chin which may be improved with chin implant surgery. Consultation with a certified, reputable facial plastic surgeon may be helpful in showing you what to expect after well-performed surgery.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation Requires Diagnostic Imaging

The best way to determine if a chin implant would be helpful for your facial appearance is computer imaging. Looking at changed views from both the front and side can give you an immediate answer to whether chin augmentation is beneficial to your face. It is necessary to have good quality full face pictures (non-smiling) from the front and side for the predictions to be the most meaningful.

Chin Implant

From what little I can see on your photos, it seems a chin implant might be a good idea. But the photos are inadequate to make a full evaluation. We need full face front and side, and not with the camera pointed down.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD