Is there much of a difference between Sientra smooth round implants and Sientra shaped implants as far as risk of rippling?

I am debating between the smooth round (HCG) and the round base high projection shaped (HCG+). I like the feel of the smooth round better but am bothered by rippling (even if its just felt). I am very thin...5'6, 112 pounds and have very little tissue.

Unfortunately all implants have a chance of rippling, and the thinner you are, the greater the chance. I think the shaped implants have the least chance, but other consultants may give you a different answer. I also have many very thin patients with saline implants and absolutely no palpable rippling. So we just don't always have the answer on this issue.

Rippling with smooth implants

You are less likely to see implant rippling with the Sientra anatomically shaped highly cohesive silicone implants.

Dennis Dass, MD

Rippling in Sientra implants

I had used smooth round silicone implants as my go to implants for years (95%) but in the past three years switched to primarily textured for better control (90%).  Although this has largely been a positive change for me and my patients I would say the one negative that I have seen is that the textured implants (round or shaped) have a higher rippling rate.  I don't think they actually ripple any more but because the shell is a little stiffer it is more palpable.  I haven't seem much visible rippling fortunately.   If we are choosing a round implant, I tend to prefer smooth implants for patients at high risk of rippling (thin dermis, thin breast tissue, poor support).  

It is also important to pick an implant diameter that fits the patients chest wall dimensions, implants that extend beyond the breast footprint have much higher rippling rates.  

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Rippling and round vs shaped silicone implants for breast augmentation

Any implant can have rippling especially if you are thin and have very little breast tissue.  However, there are a few tricks that can be helpful.  For saline implants, the rippling can be less if you fill them to the maximum amount recommended.  For the silicone, the rippling can be less if the base width of the implant is similar to your chest wall width. This will allow for the implant to lie flat and not squished into a too tight pocket.  These are not always guarantees but can be helpful.  Smooth shell vs textured shell does not make a difference once they are implanted as far as patient feel. (i.e., a patient can't tell if it is smooth or textured by the external body feel once it is inside a person.)  But they can feel the softness of the gel, especially in a thin patient.  However, there has been a trend in my practice for going to a textured implant. The thought is that it might hold position in the pocket better and not drop as much long term.  (again... no guarantees). 

So for the question of smooth round vs textured shaped for potential rippling, the answer is that both can potentially ripple in a thin patient.  But I think it is critical to consider the implant base diameter, so that the implant lies flat against the chest wall and decrease the wrinkles in the implant. However, spending time with your board certified plastic surgeon will help with these decisions.

Chances of Rippling with Sientra Implants

It's a good question. Both implants placed in the submuscular pocket, have a low likelihood of rippling. However, the thinner the tissues the greater chance of seeing rippling. It sounds like you are very thin. The HSC+ implants are slightly more firm and would likely have less chance of rippling.

Sientra Breast Implants

The risk of implant rippling between these two silicone breast implants is not appreciated to be significantly different. Theoretically a shaped implant  has more implant volume in the lower half of the implant and the implant shell is thicker so it will feel a little stiffer and should have the lowest possible risk of rippling.

Sientra vs Sientra shaped

The shaped implant has a higher cohesiveness and will ripple less compared to the smooth round but Sientra implants just seem to ripple less than their competitors smooth round implants.

Curtis Wong, MD

Is there much of a difference between Sientra smooth round implants and Sientra shaped implants as far as risk of rippling

The cohesiveness of the shaped implant is much higher than the round smooth implant. The higher the cohesiveness, the less ripples will be seen or felt, so it appears the shaped implant is the way to go with your concerns

Julio Garcia, MD

Sientra textured implant considerations

Both Sientra textured shaped and round implants, in the submuscular position, have little to no visible wrinkling when the implant is sized correctly