Why do incisions open up?

I have a 2 nd consult with ps. In first consult she said I have thin skin. 66 yrs old not on hormones. Does thin skin cause wound healing issues ? Thanks Terri

Incisions and breast reduction

Thank you for your question. It sounds as if you have had surgery and have had some wound problems. There are many factors that may cause wound issues. The amount of tissue removed, the surgical technique, the type of suture used, the tension of your incision closure, co-morbidities (health problems, smoking, etc.), as well as the quality of our skin can and will effect wound healing. It is very common to have wounds open secondary to sutures "spitting" out. This is rarely a serious concern and the resulting scars routinely remain minimal. Good luck.

Jackson Plastic Surgeon