Is it possible to achieve the look I want (alar & bridge reduction) without a implant and still see noticeable results? (Photos)

I'm very interested in a rhinoplasty that looks natural. I've wanted one all my life and now I think I just might do it! Im not interested in getting an implant I would like to reduce the size of the alar base and a slight reduction of the nasal bridge. Is this a realistic request and can this be achieved?

Alar and Bridge Reducton Without an Implant

I have never been a fan of synthetic nasal implants where there is an increased risk of infection, movement and extrusion. I suggest you consider a small cartilage graft in the radix (the highest part of the bridge), slight reduction of the bridge below this point, changing the contour of the tip cartilages and adding  a cartilage graft to the tip to increase definition and projection, as well as narrowing the nasal  base will give you the results you describe. 

Reducing the alar base and the nasal bridge.

Usually an implant is used to add volume to the dorsum of the nose. Most plastic surgeons prefer to use autogenous tissue such as cartilage from your septum. But this is only done when the desire is to increase projection of the nasal dorsum. If you are satisfied with the shape of the nasal dorsum from a side view, then you don't need to do anything to increase the projection. You can reduce the width of the nose by cutting the bones and moving them inwards and you can also reduce the width of the alar base by removing tissue and repositioning the alar processes.

This will be something to discuss with your plastic surgeon when you meet.

Good luck

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

African-American/Ethnic rhinoplasty - Is it possible to achieve the look I want (alar & bridge reduction) without a implant and

Hello cak211 - Thanks for your question. Yes, you can have both a bridge reduction and alar base reduction procedure that looks natural without augmenting your bridge with cartilage or silicone implant. The results would not be as sharp or stylized, but still you would appreciate a significant improvement. Your results would be limited by your thick, oily skin. I would suggest that you consult with a specialist in Ethnic rhinoplasty in your area. 70% of my rhinoplasty practice is ethnic rhinoplasty and it is possible to achieve beautiful results. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for alar and bridge reduction

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing grayish line with osteotomies, and narrowing nostrils with an alar-plasty.  It is very difficult to narrow the nasal tip, since the skin will be very thick in that area.    For many before and after examples and more information, please see the link and video below 

Is it possible to achieve the look I want (alar & bridge reduction) without a implant and still see noticeable results?

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon