Is a breast reduction right for me?

I am 5'6'' and weigh about 163. My breast size is 36D I have problems with finding clothes that fit right. I can hardly work out with my boobs being in the way. I occasionally get back and neck pains along with frequent headaches.

Is a breast reduction right for me?

A breast reduction will both make your breasts smaller and lift the nipple and areola higher up on your breasts. An in-person exam would be necessary to best advise, but from the information provided, a reduction may be a great option for you. 

New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Is a breast reduction right for me?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations to perform.
“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.
Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.
Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons. Timing of service should be individualized based on the specific patient's life circumstances and preferences.
When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
 I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast reduction candidates

Breast reductions may help reduce back, neck and shoulder pains that are related to the weight of the Breast.  Most patients feel more comfortable with exercise and clothing postoperatively.

Overall, Breast reduction has a high patient satisfaction.

Breast reduction

You will need to check with your insurance company to see what their criteria are for coverage. If you want to self-pay then no matter what size you are, it can likely be done.

Is a breast reduction right for me?

Thank you for your question.  If you feel that your breasts are disproportionately large and contributing to back and neck pain, you may be a candidate for a breast reduction.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and they are responsible for the back and shoulder pain that you has.
In the future may cause permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts).
For these reasons we should consider performing a breast reduction surgery on you.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

His best production right for you

Thanks for your question. Breast reduction can be performed for almost any size. It is typically performed to help reduce shoulder pain, neck pain, back pain, or to achieve a better appearance especially in  clothing. There are several different methods and each produces different results in terms of how much you can reduce your breasts, how much lifting you might achieve, and the types of scars you may have.  You should see a board-certified plastic surgeon experience in breast reduction to achieve optimal results. Check out some before and after photos (see the link below for some examples) to see if these match what you're expecting.

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Without photos, it is impossible to say. A D cup is not extremely disproportionate with your height and weight. Many augment patients wish they were in your situation. That said, do you have sagging? Breast size has not been implicated as a causative factor for headaches.  D cup is not large enough for insurance coverage.  You may want to consider wearing a compressive sports bra for exercise.