Deep Boxcar Scar on Cheek With Juvederm Filler? (photo)

Wondering if the biggest boxcar on my left cheek would be suitable for a Juvederm dermal filler. I'm trying to use something that isn't permanent like all of the others as I am only 21 and it doesn't seem acne scar treatment is at its height yet. Attached are a ton of photos of the scar and its placement on my face. I'm wondering also if subcision is necessary. Stretched the scar to show that it is able to be stretched, which I heard means that it won't need to be? Thanks for the information!

Treating Acne Scars on the Face

There are a combination of treatments to reduce acne scars.  From the photo it would appear that a combination of Fraxel and injection with Juvederm would reduce the appearance of your scar.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with scars and laser treatments for the best results.

Fillers for Cheek Scars

Your problem is very common and you are right, a lot of treatments for acne scarring, chicken pox scarring and other types of scars on the face are just not that great. Fillers along with subcision do, however, work quite well. These two treatments combined do not take the scar away but they can flatten the area out so that it looks much more acceptable.

Just last week Bellafill was approved by the FDA as a filler for scars of the cheek. This is the first FDA approval of any filler on the market for acne scars because it works so well.

There are things you should know about fillers though and I have included a video here for you as well as a link to more information on acne scar treatment with Bellafill.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Subcision Works Well For Raising Depressed Scars

The stretchability of the scar does suggest that a filler might give adequate temporary improvement, since very often non-stretchable scars treated with fillers typically take the shap of a donut where the outer border of the scar gets raised by the filler, while leaving the heavily bound down base of the scar looking more like the hole within a donut. To gauge the potential benefit of a filler treatment, your doctor may wish perform a simple test of injecting saline or local anesthetic. Juvederm would not, however, be my first choice. I would prefer Radiesse, since it provides better lift and has the additional biostimulatory ability to promote new, native collagen synthesis (neocollagenesis), which can lead to a longer lasting result.

Having said all this, I personally would opt for subcision, which is a quick and simple (3-5 minute) procedure that can ultimately result in a permanent scar elevation improvement. For additional and immediate benefit, the Radiesse can also be injected immediately following the subcision or at a later date. It would be advisable to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with particular expertise in scar treatment.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD