Am I a good candidate for a breast reduction? (Photo)

I'm 20 years old, and I've had big boobs since I was in middle school. I've never been able to find a bra that fits because I have an extremely small frame. I'm 5'4 and 100lbs. Which has caused me major back pains, trouble sleeping and body image issues. I'm not sure what my current size is, I think it's around a 28DD. Ideally I would want to have MUCH smaller boobs, around a B or less, also would it be possible for insurance to cover it/would I qualify for that?

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question and photos.  I am sorry to hear about the problems your breasts have caused you.  It appears that you would benefit from a breast reduction.  Please be seen in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine what would be both best and realistic for you.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Am I a good candidate for a breast reduction?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your description and photos, you seem to be a good candidate for a breast reduction, possibly with a lollipop incision.  It's hard to say whether your insurance will cover this as it's become increasingly difficult to get authorization these days.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast reduction

Hi there, thanks for the question. You look like you would be a perfect candidate for breast reduction surgery. Reducing the size of your breasts can help with all of the symptoms you describe, in addition to sometimes relieving headaches, hand tingling and improving posture. Most insurance companies require documentation of your problems with your breasts & back pain. See a board certified plastic surgeon to have a consult & get the rest of your questions answered. Good luck!

Dr. Michelle Spring

Breast Reduction

Large breasts may not only interfere with your physical ability to function in daily activities but can be emotionally burdensome as well. From what you describe you are a candidate for a breast reduction. Breast reduction surgery removes excess breast tissue and reshapes the contour of the breasts so that they are smaller and perkier. It is possible to do a breast reduction with a minimal scar technique and can also be done as a outpatient procedure under twilight sedation. It's important to be sure expectations are realistic and you have an understanding of the commitment needed for the healing process. Make sure that you understand the nature of your surgery, the recovery process, and that you feel comfortable and emotionally ready to make these changes to your body. I suggest you make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon who will examine you and go over your surgical options in detail.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Based on your photos and symptoms, you do appear to be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery. Consult with your local plastic surgeons to find out if your insurance would cover to cost of surgery and if it will be possible to reduce your breasts to B cups. Thank you for sharing your photos and questions. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

20 year old for breast reduction. A good candidate?

Thanks for your question and the photos.  From your description you appear to be an appropriate candidate to undergo breast reduction surgery, especially if you feel that your breasts have stopped developing.  The other major considerations would include whether you would comfortably accept the permanent incision lines (and scars heal differently amongst individuals) and how important the potential for breast feeding is (I'm aware of several who have breast fed successfully).  Patients similar to yourself are often amongst the happiest of our patients after a breast reduction.  Symptoms usually largely resolve and patients have reported that they stand taller and can more readily exercise and stay fit.
Meet with an ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and best wishes.
Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Reduction Candidacy

Thank you for your question and photos. I am sorry to hear about the challenges you have faced due to the size and weight of your breasts. Based on your pictures and questions, you would likely be a candidate for breast reduction surgery. Keep in mind a few things prior to this. The first is that you must ensure you don't have any underlying malignancy prior to this. This especially applies to patients who have a strong family history of breast cancer or are beyond 35 years old. These patients should get a mammogram prior to undergoing breast reduction. The second is to realize that the scars are permanent once placed on the breast. Most breast reductions require a decrease in horizontal and vertical dimension. What is necessary varies from patient to patient and should be discussed at length with a surgeon in person. The third important factor to remember is that if you are planning on breast feeding in the future, scars do affect the ability for women to breast feed in the future. If this is important to you or of concern, I would approach breast reduction with caution if this was important to you. Only an in person consultation by a board-certified plastic surgeon will help determine what would be best for you.

Rahim Nazerali, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

If you want smaller breasts, then you are a good candidate for a breast reduction. You must keep in mind that the scars are permanent, and you may not be able to nurse a child after breast reduction. Because your breasts do not appear to be excessively overhanging and your nipples appear to be in a good position, you may be a candidate for breast reduction by the liposuction technique, in which case this is done with only 2 0r 3 tiny scars under the breast. The disadvantage is that the degree of reduction is milder, you cannot always tell how much reduction can be accomplished, and you would most probably not be able to go from a DD to a B cup size...if a B cup is your goal, a standard breast reduction is your best bet. As to insurance, I doubt whether insurance would cover the amount of tissue resection that would be performed in your case, but an in-person examination would be needed, followed by a letter and photos sent by your plastic surgeon to your insurance company.

Simply put, if you want smaller breasts you are a candidate for a breast reduction. Keep in mind that things important to know at your age...scars are forever, you may lose all nipple sensitivity and probably will not be able to breast feed adequately. As to insurance coverage, you need to see a consultant for an exam. That doctor will then contact your insurance carrier to see if you meet their (usually unrealistic) requirements. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Candidate for breast reduction

Thank you for your picture.  From a physical standpoint, you are a candidate.  Whether your insurance will cover this depends on your policy.  Other things to consider, scarring because of the nature of the reduction.  This can be important for a young woman.  Secondly, your breast size will change if you decide to have a family.  Just points to consider.  Best wishes