6 months post op MM, is exercise causing my swelling? (photo)

BA,TTw/Lipoflanks&thighs Preop174# 5'8 1wk Postop 184#At 8wks postop Started exercise179# 4-5 xa wk For 2mth,barre class 3xwk&cardio1-2 xwk result, gain15# muscle&loss 5lbs of fat#189all my measurements went upichanged workout to 3/4 d of cardio, 1-2d of barre for 6 wks.resultlost 2lbs muscle gained 3 lbs fat=190 measurements went upIhave added weights.ieat clean, drink70-120 oz of h20xd am so frustrated. Iwant to be back at my preop174then to160. Could postop lymphatic swelling be at play here

Healing & Activity after a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing. But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit. 
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Exercise will have no effect on final outcome of mommy makeover although it might contribute to modest swelling.

I certainly wouldn't curb your athletic activities. The body will retain fluid for many months after this substantial surgery. This can be depressing people trying to lose weight. Keep up the good work and I think you'll see the weight starts to drop as swelling subsides

Exercise: Is it the cause of swelling?

Exercise can sometimes contribute to swelling even 6 months post op. Bruising and swelling are normal in the suctioned areas and usually increase slightly after
the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling should be gone within the first 3-4 weeks.
However it may take 6-9 months to disappear completely. The compression garment helps
reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly the process will proceed. It is recommended that you do not engage in vigorous exercise right now and let the swelling recede. #mommymakeover #postopswelling

Swelling

No.
You need to start by having an independent "expert" evaluate the specifics of your diet and exercise habits. The most common cause would be an intake of calories in excess of an expenditure of calories unless there is some underlying medical/health issue.Your  personal doctor can evaluate that. 3500cal + 1pound fat.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Mommy makeover weight

I am sorry to hear of your frustration regarding your weight.  You may have some swelling however it is not going to be 16 lbs worth.  Instead of looking at the number on the scale go by measurements and body fat percentage.  It may also be time to speak with a nutritionist.  If you are not getting enough calories, your metabolism will slow and anything you eat will be stored in your body making it very difficult to lose weight.  Good Luck!

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon